Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

ACCESS ISSUE... PLEASE READ...Tobay Gone

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

That beach is paid for by town residents.

Steve

Steve: Do we know this for a fact or does some money come from the County? If the latter is true, then maybe we have a shot at getting them to reconsider the decision. I think your points about how this all came about are very accurate. Tobay was the only "free" nightime access from FI inlet to WE2 & an easy walk to boot. The only easier walk is JB 6 & that got crowded too, but at least you had to have the state permit for it.

I'm not saying we should pursue some type of legal thing over Tobay - that would take time, money & someone to spearhead the effort. I think the path of least resistance is to see if the TOB would be willing to discuss some type of fee for non-residents. This would accomplish 3 things: allow those non-residents who would still like to fish this beach the opportunity to do so, thin out the herd (so to speak) be eliminating those who are not willing to pay for a permit, and give the TOB some extra $ for their coffers. It would seem that it's a win-win proposition icon14.gif .

So the question is how to go about beginning this type of discussion with the TOB. Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone have an inside hook with someone from TOB - someone who makes these types of decisions?

Guys,

What other TOWN beach lets non-residents park and fish FOR FREE?

Are you prepared to make a stink in your own town that non-residents be given the same access rights on your town beaches that you had in TOBAY?

All in favor?

im just hearing this now.im 5 blocks from tob limits in seaford.does thi mean i cant get a permit. id pay a 100 bucks,im blown away.80 % of my efforts come from there.out front is overrated.i like reading reports but it seems they ruined.if i have to ill ride the bike from anotherlot.o no/ im not giving this up arest me .fine me.whatever' ill go political ill go postal ill go to hell .im goin....... ron

bump...

this just came out today in Newsday. it turns out that the reason why access was lost was because of the fact that permits that were issued in past years (around 200) went up to around 2000 this year... hmmm, coincidence???? I think not...

This is from Tom Rocks column today in Newsday!!!

"As for Oyster Bay, night fishing permits had been available for free to anyone who requested one. But Lawrence Fitzgerald, superintendent of beaches for Oyster Bay, said a spike in the number of permits in the last few years caused concern from residents

"Up until about three years ago, we were issuing 250 to 300 permits a season," Fitzgerald said. "Last year, there were over 2,000.".

The permit grants access to the beach during times when it is normally closed, from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. The town allowed fishermen on the beach during that time provided they had the permit, which sat on the dashboard of a car, and fishing tackle. Fitzgerald said he heard complaints that many of those on the beaches overnight were not even fishing but had bought a cheap rod and reel to show a security guard.

"It's the residents whose taxes pay for the beach, so we felt we had an obligation to them," Fitzgerald said. So far this year, around 200 permits have been issued. Fishing access to the beach during operating hours from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. is still open to anyone.

As for the fishermen who are complaining about lost access, Fitzgerald said his first priority is the residents. "I think the legitimate fishing people understand," he said. "Basically what we are saying is, if this is important, then you have to go to your own municipality and make your case there."

proof is in the pudding...

BC

Spoke with Larry Carlucci at the LIBBA booth in Freeport today, he said they're in the process of contacting the Town of Oyster Bay supervisor to try and work out a resolve, either a limited number, lottery,or a small fee, anything reasonable to appease town residents would be discussed. Lets wish LIBBA good luck on this one guys, would really hate to see it go...

biggrin.gif

any how about ME getting access to Hemptsted, Smithtown, Babylon????

Yep, like Tom Rock said, go to you own municpalities, make your case...

you only have to remember one word

RECIPROCITY

if not, STAY OUT

wink.gif

supt told me leanin towards a fee.acess issues gone public in newsday hope its a good thing.JP im missin the point about pressin my munipality ?

Guys, I don't know if this is relevant but a court ruling in CT last year made all CT town beaches open to the general public, the towns are allowed to charge what they feel is "reasonable " for a daily access fee. The gentleman sued the town of Greenwich for access and won opening all the other towns to the same ruling. I believe Greenwich charges $25 a day to park. night access is anyones guess, if the gates are locked or town ordinance closes beaches after sunset varies from town to town, no drive on beaches here though.

I mean instead of residents from other towns focusing on just getting their access to TOBAY, why dont we all make a pitch in our respective towns to allow some sort of reciprocal fishing access to all permit-holding surf fishermen on all respective town beaches.

Or is this only about non-TOBAY residents getting access to TOBAY - while keeping outsiders off that person's own town beach?