Lure Knots

Rate this topic

EDinPA

Depends on the details. I use a uniknot a lot or a clinch. I almost always use a snap swivel on a popper and at the end of pre-tied teaser rigs. I use a simple snap when fishing a swimming plug only. Sometimes I'll use a polamar on Jigs , sometime i like a loop which I put in with a Double Surgeons Loop.

I use a snap, one that I've closed with my multi-tool, on everything...except when I know I'm throwing jigs for a good while..then I'll use a modified loop knot...I'm not even sure of the name. I like snaps for the simple reason that I can then control the length of my leader between plug and teaser. Once you cut the line to tie on a new plug, you've changed the distance between the plug and teaser. Snaps do open up, often at the worst times, that's why I exagerate the bends on them and close them with pliers...mine don't open anymore. I'll tie a 5 turn clinch with 30# fluoro to the snap...a 6 turn clinch at the other end to the swivel.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

I have always used a snap at the business end of my line regardless of whether I am fishing a jig, plug, rubber eel, spoon, etc. I did use a snap swivel combination at the lure for many years, but about 5 years ago I switched over to just using a snap.

Generally, I use only one of 2 snap manufactures...Berkeley or Sampo. The Sampo's are black finish dou-lock type snaps and I use size 55 (85#). The Berkeley's are cross-lock types, also black finished and are made from a stronger wire. I use 75# or 100# in these...

My snap is attached to a leader via a crimped connection. At the other end of the leader is another crimped connection w/ a barrel swivel. IMO, a crimped connection in mono leaders are nearly 100% strong and stronger than any knot I know of...

My running line is tied to the barrel swivel with a doubled-up Palomar knot. I have found that the doubled-up Palomar is the strongest knot for mono between 10# and 25# for the given application. The knot seems to work equally as well with braid...

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

I tie the leader direct to the plug, jig etc. with a Rapala loop knot - I think that's what its called. Less hardware at the plug is my rationale. The opposite end to a swivel. Mainline ends in snap-swivel to attach plug.

I pre-tie teasers on the appropriate plugs so I don't need to re-tie if I change.