What IS this fish?

Rate this topic

Seasonivy

It's an Atlantic Needlefish, nicknamed "houndfish" by some folkssmile.gif

My little brother caught one in Shark River a long time ago that coulda been the one in the photo's big brothercwm24.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Kevin - I caught one in Hatteras a few years ago, though not that big. Lot's of times they run with the Spanish Mackeral, as do ribbonfish, which are quite pretty.

I kept it as well, out of curiosity.....but I also ATE it....and it was tasty.....and I kept the mouth/bill.....it was sitting above my desk at work and I got lot's of comments/questions about it, until during a subsequent vacation, a secretary that USED to be employed by my company decided she didn't like the looks of it and tossed it.....cwm23.gif

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Steve,

How'd you guess I was gonna' ask if you could eat the damned thing?? How'd it taste??

Think we should start a fishery for them?? I can see it now "SPRING HOUNDFISHING ON THE FLATS" We could make millions.

Spigolacwm12.gif

Steve,

How'd you guess I was gonna' ask if you could eat the damned thing?? How'd it taste??

Think we should start a fishery for them?? I can see it now "SPRING HOUNDFISHING ON THE FLATS" We could make millions.

No commercial value, but they are edible and good to eat. Not much meat come off them unless, it's got a lot more girth to it.

"We could make millions".........lol, I'm sure someone already tried. Probably came up with some fancey marketing name like Silver Snaper........lol. wink.gif

Okay so I can't spell.......

------------------

I Fish, Therefore I Am.

RFA Member

SDO Member

SOL #15,426

[This message has been edited by Cyclops (edited 07-31-2002).]

Spig....sorta like, but not really, flounder....and as Cyclops said, not much meat to them....but it made a good snack, breaded and fried....

Hey, I'll try most anything once.....

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

That is no doubt an atlantic needlefish, but I can't find the name for a houndfish, I think they are the same thing. My biggest needle was only 2 feet, that thing is huge! I usually see them about 12-17inches crusing the inlet. They steal a lot of minnows on bobbers aimed at snappers because it is hard to hook them. They grab the fish by the middle and drag it around for a while, then stop and eat it. My guess is after the fight the fish was probably dead already. And they are one of the stinkiest fishes ever to grace my line. Not a shoe type of stink, a different stink.

They also sometimes make good jumps, I wonder if he took a leap, would be cool to see that, like a swordfish biggrin.gif

Okay, I did a search, and while no picture, I found a pretty cool site listing the names of about every fish you'd want to know.

After going down the list quite aways, I came up with this:

BELONIDAE (NEEDLEFISHES) FAMILY 202

Species Common Name Number Lots Fam

Platybelone argalus Keeltail needlefish 24 - 302 - 2 0 202

Strongylura marina Atlantic needlefish 24 - 302 - 5 10 202

Strongylura notata Redfin needlefish 24 - 302 - 4 1 202

Tylosurus crocodilus Houndfish 24 - 302 - 3 1 202

Tylosurus longirostris Silver garfish 24 - 302 - 1 0 202

http://bcrc.bio.umass.edu/vmmnh/fishcoll.html

You'll find all the species and common names there.....

SOL Member #174