Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seasonivy

What IS this fish?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Assuming (bad thing to do) caught in the IBSP area as it was weighed in @ a B&T in Seaside. The fish in question is the 17th picture.....looks LIKE a GAR.

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the New Dolphin Photo Gallery (#2) and saw this fish along with a TREMENDOUS Red Drum? (pic # 13?)

pi5pg2.jpg

TimS.......I am NOT sure if posting this link is allowable as I copied only the picture and didn't put up the website???

sorry if I erred; just let me know.

I fixed it so the photo came up like you noted in your message. TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 07-31-2002).]

I believe it's a Houndfish. The fin's kind of give it away. They are cought off the Jersey shore from time to time when the water is warm enough.

------------------

I Fish, Therefore I Am.

RFA Member

SDO Member

SOL #15,426

I'm with richs on this one. They come into the lagoon where we keep our boat. They swim on the top like gars, you can see their ripples on the water. They have a nasty set of choppers though.

Eagle

Down in the Bahamas a Needlefish becomes a Houndfish once it gets above a certain size - they commonly get to 6 inches or more in diameter down there. I'm not sure if there is any scientific difference. They do sport an impressive set of very sharp teeth - respect as you would Barracuda, large Bluefish, Sharks etc.

What's up with picture number 6? I hope that's a freshwater Hybrid or something, cause it is nowhere near the silly 24" limit NJ has. Maybe it was caught elswhere?

My question

Why Keep It?

Why take a picture with it?

Do you think that guy ate it or just trew it in the dumpster after he was done taking the picture?

RichS I'm still laughing, what was that guys name in the Movie?