Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamie M

Anyone ever make fried hot dogs like they do in Jersey?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I was the hot dog cook at my church fair this year. I showed some workers how to deep fry them and they were a big hit. The oil has to be real HOT. Put frozen ff patatoes in the same oil and they come out great. Taste is not passed off among different foods

Do my beer batter fluke this way and it is outstanding

Hey shbeachbum,

How Hot is Hot for the Oil, and what kind of Oil? I have one of those delonghi deep friers that goes up to 370 degress, doesn't seem to do the job (At least not like Rutt's). Beer batter Fluke mmm.

Like jamieM I looked for a recipe on the web and couldn't find one. Whenever I'm in the Clifton area I stop at Rutt's and bring extra's home for the family. Now they are hooked on them.

striper53, Thanks for the Greasy Charlie reccomendation, I'll have to try them.

Would love to get close to what they do at Rutts (just have to check my cholesterol levels).

Thanks

hey 53 thats was charlie buffs in kenilworth when i was a kid.i grew up there. it was a front for the number runners. grease was an 1" thich on the walls then 1968. it was a real treat when dad called on his way home from work saying he was bringing home charlie buffs. now everyone calls them itailian hot dogs. half round porguquiese rolls. each one weighted 2 lbs.

You mean Jimmy Buffs? Charlies Famous is in Kenilworth on Michigan Avenue. There are a few Jimmy Buffs. The closest one to Charlies is on Springfield Avenue in Irvington. Nothing beats a good "Italian Hotdog"!

Frank- the church's fryers were professional type. Your fryer is excellent for frying beer batter fluke. I use Canola oil at the highest temp you have. Here is my receipe:

I use a deep fryer but not the basket. I put them right in the oil like zepoles. If you use the basket, they will stick. I use Wesson Canola oil but to each his own.

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dash Old Bay Seasoning(optional)

1 bottle cold beer,

1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed whitefish (tilapia, pollock, cod flounder), cut into 1-ounce strips . You can also do chicken nuggets this way.

Cornstarch, for dredging

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time . The finished batter should be like thin pancake batter.

Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. Do not use a wire basket. Put directly into the hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack.

Now the good part---OPEN A COLD ONE AND STARTING EATING !!!!

rutts hutt, callahans, haledon grill, lodi grill and about a half a dozen other places like that up here in North Jersey make em like that, usually billed as "hot texas weiners" and not complete without non bean chili. yum. 1 away 1 smile.gif

OK, I'm back from the tailgating. I tried a variety of methods. The best seemed to be heating the oil to 350, dropping high-quality dogs in for about 3 or 4 minutes. It was that simple. Not quite Rutt's Hut, but very tasty nonetheless.