Second Home

Rate this topic

Winch

Little Mussel,

Here Bassmaster you can either climb down the face with a rope about 150' climb first on a sandy cliff that crumbles then a straight drop of about fifty feet, or you can swim through the waves from the beach on the left to the front rock. Better choice if you don't mind getting slammed every so often. It's another of my favorites fish will come up about 15 feet of the rock on pikies.

Mussellittle3.jpg

No Charlie you don't, the fishery is in major decline, the fish were seeing nowadays are small and hardly worth the effort to get to these spots. Your Eastcoast fishery are in a lot better condition than it is here.

Johnny tried to get me to swim there and if I had been in my twenties then I would have.

I have swam to the tip of Mussel when I was young but the wildest swim I ever took was swimming to the tip of big point. (Think San Pedro Point) That was a blast, we took our flyrods and surf gear and satyed all day. Killed with the fly rods for rock fish and perch. The best was once we got out on the big point we climb up the face. When you reached the top and looked over the other side it was a straight vertical drop to the water. Fun but wild. I think I have a shot of Johnny's rock somewhere here.

The only other rock I would never swim to was at Lands End You know where the ship lies at the Sewer. Yes a real outflow! You remember when that smell was there Mike. There were a couple of guys that would swim through that nasty water and plug. They'd get fish but when they came in they would be puking from swallowing that gross water. I'm crazy not stupid!

Pssssst Mike, The fish are here.

[This message has been edited by winchmaster (edited 04-03-2002).]

Hey Winch.....

Have you tried installing spikes under your fins?

Works real well trying to hit a rock that's 200 yards + in a Montauk rip!

By the way, I've enjoyed reading about the West Coast fishing. We do the same in N.Y.

Believe it or not, we even have cliffs and the same kind of rocky structure. Haven't touched a plug in a while though....Free swimming with live eels has been my PRODUCTIVE deal!!...Had a 44 last fall!...Now free swimming with that on was fun.

[This message has been edited by Green Machine (edited 04-05-2002).]

Hey Green, I have been talking for couple of years to a guy who plugs Montauk. So I understand your type of fishing there. He has sent me some nice shots of the cliff areas. I have seen pictures of Browns, Turtle Cove and the LightHouse along with a few other spots. Feel free to post a few pictures or if you don't want to post them e-mail me some shots.

Anyway no need for spikes here! The rocks that I plug are encrusted with mussels, barnacles and other marine life that you can cling on or give you great footing. Yes we have snot rocks but those are in more protected areas. There are a few spots near the Golden Gate that corkers would help but I rarely have taken a snot slide. When I am climbing the cliffs a good pair of vibram sole boots work the best.

But when swimming the rocks that we targeted they have plenty of sealife that gives you great traction. I will wear tennis shoes or old baseball cleats.

On free swimming, no need. The competition on the climbing spots is low enough that I don't have to fight the crowds. If I want to get out in the water I can launch my small aluminum boat through the waves and go where I want. Of course that is a whole different story! I'll write on that another time. Some guys here will boogie board out to the fish, My next plan is to buy a kayak or dive board to plug from. It has been something I have been mulling around for a few years.

Another thing on free swimming or "skishing", we don't fish a current, Its open water with large waves and rips that will suck you out or send you tumbling. Not quite the type of water where you can just float along.

Anyway it is great hearing all the tactics and places you Eastcoaster fish. Hopefully our fishery will rebound in a couple of years with these smaller fish getting bigger and making it worth while to take the risk.

Winch...I've been REAL spoiled the past few years with lots of big bass on eels. I'll occassionally revert back to my darters, danny's, bottles and bombers. It seems that the only time I stop throwing eels lately is when the bluefish are passing through (they will chop it back to the head & you'll be out of 30 eels in 20 minutes). When they are passing through, I'll usually throw a bucktail on to try and get below the blue's quickly. Lots of times the bass are hanging below them, picking up the scraps!

The use of eels and bucktails while skishin or extreme surfcasting, so to say, is a productive team while remaining streamline to carry while swimming.

If you used eels or any form of live bait while swimming, I would have p.m.'d you with a few different ways of handling the slimy critters while floating 50 - 200 yds off the beach........at night!

If you haven't visited this site, check out, http://www.surfcasting.com/. This IS Montauk fishing at its best, and I'm addicted!

ENJOY!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Green Machine (edited 04-08-2002).]