Winchmaster?

Rate this topic

Jason

Hey Winch, Ever have this Happen??

I fish a Bay thats productive and has fast water. Toss out a Bomber and let it drift with out retrieving and Bam!

Retrieve the plug and nothing.

I find the Bass go through cycles, As in eat during day then shut down then eat night shut down during day ect...

there was this deep trough , sorry for My spelling, Im a fishermanbiggrin.gif

and it was day time leaning towards Dusk.

I would toss to the bar and drag a yellow and white Bomber off. I would let the plug rip in current B4 reeling it in. You could see the Bass come up and eat it. I landed alot of Bass that way that afternoon. If they would'nt Hit It they would eat it at Your feet, But they wanted it slow. So I had My eels and I turned to My friend and said there going to chow them. He says Ya rite its day time. the Bass went from say 10 to 14 lbs to 18 to 28 lbs it was greatbiggrin.gif

as the sun dropped they fed hard then it was lul time It was on the drop and slack was just about due. so I have this place and close to it there is a BONUS TIDE! it is i would say depending on wind and phase of moon 2 hours behind, so Ya got 2 more on the drop. We slamed a ton of bass there. came back out front and the bar was just about covering. I would toss over the bar and Ya had to drag bass over sand with about 6" of water. it was in sept and the Bass were so large we banged bass hard that whole week, I think it was 98. It was so bad that if You didnt have a hit in 30 seconds you would get a hit in close. any way we had the whole place to our self. It was truly sick. there was bass to high 40s and 50s all over, it was hard to keep the 20s off the eel. I was doing some thing and Mike My bud was helping Me. This is no bull. his eel was 3 feet of the rod with line sitting in the wash and a cow came up and ate that thing! It was wild.

I caught this Bass , the head was shaped like a dalphin and the dam thing musta been 48" long. We Pi$$ed our pants LMAO at that damn thing. It was deformed, Must of been from NJ. any way that night we had a double. ahhh well the whole night was a double. He had His in and it was a low 40 lber (we actually had multible fish over 40 lbs that night. Now My fight was still going on. You know when the Bass pull line so hard and Your drag go's into freespool. that thing was killin My 650ss. any way I got this thing blistering line out and the runs are getting shorter but with alot of tork.

Mike see this thing in the curl of the wave about 10 feet out. Ya know how a big Bass goes back and forth flipping You the Bird due to You not being able to horse Her In.

well that was what this fish was doing to Me. I freaked when I seen the size of this fish. It was Awsome!

hen it rolled and spit the hook at Me Like I was Just another Jerk. You know the old Hook in the side of Mouth that now has a gaping hole in it. I took My arra blank and tossed it over My sholder. We figured the bass to be a 60

I left with a bass in low 40s I think 42 and It looked like a dink. We left Bass they ate the complete Tide Up and then on the drop with no LuL at all. I was absolute Junk for a week every night out there and We killed the Bass. I use to stop fishing in sept, that was the first push of big bass. usually the 2nd week of sept depending on the quarter of moon and tide But the 2nd week was hammer time.

Aahhh crap I told the one that got away..

When ever He says Like that night Tim B left. I know to get out there. But thats how We guage the night By...

I would Be sick of these things for the year and Maybe come out 1 night during the week. Man tobad I wasnt tossin Pikes back thenbiggrin.gif

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

Well Bassmaster, I have to say that Mass must be the land of slugs! Out here in the surf near Pacifica even in the seventies when fishing was still good. Fish in the Forties were few and far between, a fish in the fifties was a Holy Grail! (Yes there have been 6o pounders caught here too!) But no way near what you decribe. In the Sacramento delta during the Spring large fish are caught more fequently. But those are the big spawners full of roe. (One of my pet pevees)

I myself have only landed three forties,all pikie fish! (hooked more but you know how that goes) Lots of 30's.

On your day of days, awesome! Those are the days you can never forget.

As I have told you I fish 90% of the time surface stuff during the day. I am more interested in the fun of watching a fish go nuts for a surface plug than how many I catch or how big. (yes I am a strange bird and not normal) Through the years here in the surf there have been two type of fishermen, the Beach crew, and the Rock guys. Not the small rocks that you guys fish but Huge rocky area's that dot the coast. Most of the spots are tough to get to, long walks, plus huge cliff area's that you have to work you way down, some are so steep that you need ropes to get to. Other places are more swim spots through good size waves that you must time to get through. Those are the spots I grew up on. Anyway where was I going, Oh yeah, I asked you about spotting schools of bass cruising the surf line. Not small pods but schools of perhaps hundreds to a thousand fish. Most of the schools are the size of a truck but sometimes they will be as big as a house. It takes a trained eye to spot them. A dark spot that dosen't quite look or move like bait. They are not chasing bait but are just cruising right below the surface. When you get lucky and find a school you have to figure where they will come close enough to shore for you to get a cast at them. To make it harder you try and keep it to yourself or a couple of guys who you trust to work with you. To do this you sometimes leave a spot to draw any guys away from your desired spot that you plan to intercept the fish at. The best times are when you and maybe another guy drive to a spot and find a school tight up to the rocks just staying in one place. You scramble down the cliff and get on a big rock and put on a surface plug. Here that would be a pencil popper or a pikie if they're in that close.The rocks we fish from our usally pretty tall some where you stand are 10 to 15 feet straight down to the water. Others are closer to the water. The best part about fishing the rocks is the water is deep right up to the rock. SO the bass will come right up against it to hit a plug. Sometimes on the smaller rocks they are right at your feet when they explode. Anyway when school fishing it's 100% top water, you cast the edges of the school and work the plug right over the top as soon as you get over the school the fish start to go crazy. Flying up and trying to destroy your plug before another fish gets it. I've had pikies tossed ten feet in the air and when they hit the water the fish our waiting for it. Again we keep our pikies on the surface all the time. So you see these fish all the way. Most of the time poppers are your first choice just in case the school moves out a slow hard pop over a school is deadly. If the fish start to move out with a popper you can coax them back in by keeping the plug just out of their grasp and not setting the hook.Talk about a adrenilene rush! On the average you may only get a few cast over the school before they move out of range but there has been times where I have had them by myself for hours. Now a sicko moment I sometimes get pissed when they actually grab because that means I got to fight the fish in and not scare the school to far out. Hence Winchmaster. Most of the time I release all my fish so there have been times where I have had a day that was insane and as your hiking out some guy you don't know will stop you and ask you how ya did. Ah Nothing.

We think alike. That ahhh nothing got Me in trouble, I got popped by a spot jumper and He almost stepped on a pile of bass in the rocks.

Man You are truly hard core. I love thatkind of fishing. You would love the islands. when I had my grady we would toss poppers and swimmers of rocks.

I do have 1 spot I will be trying pikes on this spring its all rocks and it is More an art to negotiate Bass out of rocks and over them. alot of top water action. I fish a submerged jetty. But Im thinking of a wet suit now. It is in the back of My head. there is this rock that is 6 feet up out of the water and the Bass sit next to it. in the eddy. there is a series of rocks( under water jetty in front of it) That these Bass slam and stay behind. A 5 foot cast is all You need.

Do wet suits keep Ya warm in 54^ water? They float right?

Also over sand the Bass are at Your feet , And the slightes sighn of a rip I fish it. I read the water well at night so Im lucky. Dont need low water, Thats cheating LOL..

But I love fishing the holes on suds and the bars. alot of guys fish the bars .

woops I will finish later I have to go......

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

Im already ahead of You Winch...

in real fast water Im just going to let the plug sweep across and twitch the rod to give it the Mercy lookbiggrin.gif

Oh Yeah B4 i started blabbing. ...

when I was getting bass in day light on eels.

It was due to them hitting the bomber slow so that was an instant go to....

On the Pikes and bombers.. Sand eels here are the bait fish thats around for bass. so You can toss till ya blue in the face and they wont hit it some times.Other plugs that is. But the pike on top thing is a given and its not done here and thats why Im goin to shut My yap nowicon15.gif

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Bassmaster you asked about a wetsuit, If you are a complete rock guy here you gatta have a wetsuit! There are spots here that only a few guys will attempt. Which means no competition! Other rocks which you got to swim to will get you past the kelp beds. They will keep you warm and will help you float.