Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ichthy

Long-casting rough-water surface swimmer

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a medium-large plug that will stay wiggling on the surface on a moderate retrieve in heavy surf. It would be a huge plus if it casts very well too. Maybe something in the 2-2.5 oz range. There's not a lot of local lures here, is there anything like this in the online store?

The eel punt looks pretty good, but I don't know if it's possible to fish them on the surface in heavy surf, or how well they cast...

Thanks...

You might want to try a Gaines Super Mavrick.Not wood,medium size,weghs 2 oz.Tim doesn,t carry them in the SOL store though.Casts pretty good and is a fish catcher..... rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Check out the eel punts in the online store.They can swim on top of just sub surface.Real fish catchers too icon14.gif

I've used them in moderate rough conditions and been happy

[ 07-08-2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Rick7 ]

this is ust my opinion, but if its rough out, your 'wake' bait will not make its wake very noticed. I like a bottle plug or a darter when its rough. plus they cast like a bomb

The fish like bottle-neck poppers just fine when it's rough smile.gif The darters/divers catch a few fish, but they really want it on the surface some days. I want something that I can just reel in steady on the surface so it's easier to feel the strikes.

Another vote for the bottle plug--what I learned with. A second thought ain't elegant, ain't even a plug, but does do exciting things on the surface. Rangers from Roberts Lures are chunks of bright plastic. They cast over the horizon, come in 2.5 and 3 oz sizes, and at speed they do carve up the water. On this coast, they occasionally catch bass, but they really make bluefish crazy.

The Polaris is a great plug. It casts a mile and although it claims to be a popper if you reel it slow it swims on the surface which sounds what your looking for IMO the larger ones swim better

The bottle plug is the answer... icon14.gif

Tim has them listed. They are listed under Gibbs Bottle plugs.

Also ask the question in the west coast forum.