Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cms

what's broke?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

was praticing with a 975 penn and in the middle of my retreive i could not reel in anymore line (freespinning) and it got real hard to turn the handle then it when back to normal.few more casts in between then it happen again.now when you turn the handle it has a rough feel to it .any ideas fella's

thanks chris

[This message has been edited by cms (edited 03-19-2001).]

Chris my guess is that you got sand into the reel. I have had a few reels do that to me. Like in the mist of reeling in a fish and then dropping it in the suds. If you have a better made reel that shouldn't happen but sometimes the sand gets in anyway. I have a Penn and a Daiwa. It never happened to the Penn, but the daiwa was a cheape and the sand caused all sorts of trouble. I ended up taking it apart and emptying out quite a lot. the trouble is the sand gets all caught up in the lubricant and becomes extremely difficult to remove. I ended up pouring hot water over the gears to get rid of the lubricant first, then I just relubed it. Hope you have an easier time than I did. If that is the problem to begin with. You can also try paint thinner. It works well in removing that lubricant gunk. Im not sure however if it will hurt any of the parts inside. I don't think it should though. Good luck

Ant

Sometimes you get funny stuff up in the level wind worm gear...check that out. If that's not it and there's no sand in the reel, then I'd suspect you mighta ground up the lil' gear that drives the spool. Take the reel in half like you were gonna change spools...now with the half that has the handle on it, turn it. See how it feels. Push the spool release button, turn the handle and engage it...see how it feels. Put it back together, try again. You should be able to isolate where the grind is coming from this way.

TimS

Not having one it's tough to say. The roughness could be caused by dirt in the levelwind or the roller bearing. Freespooling is different though, something isn't clicking right. How old is the reel? When was the last time if ever was it serviced? What kind of service has this reel seen? My guess it's that cruddy grease they shipped it in gone to crap and something's sticking. Have your reel cleaned and relubed, or do it yourself, it's easy though intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it you'll do a much better job then they do. Good Luck Prospector

Did you lubricate the level wind worm gear?

If you did, don't do it again. Just keep it clean, but do not lubricate it. It causes all kinds of problems. I think the instruction manual for the reel specifically tells you to keep lube out of the worm drive. Too bad I read it after I cleaned and lubed my reel the first time. That's how I know you ain't supposed to do it. Otherwise, listen to the advise above.

thanks for the reply's guy's.the reel never seen the sand it's brand new third time out i think tim hit it on the head with the little gear being grounded up.took it apart like you said and turned the handle still didn't feel right.when it's toghter and i turn the handle i feel like a clicking or ratcheting or tiny bumps kinded feel hard to describe.not smooth like before

chris