Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J Wagen

Owner Boa Rig - With The Secret Knot

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I dunno...it's a interesting sliding clinch type knot tied with thin braid of some sort with a loop.

It's very secure...but not very durable - a few fish and it's shot and stops being adjustable.

TimS

I used to have the patent publication number but I can't find it now. If anyone has a copy of the Fisherman Magazine I think the patent number is in the ad for the Boa Rig. If you have a Boa Rig it may be ont he package. If someone can post the patent number here I'll provide a public link to the patent so you can see the knot.

Hmmmm, not enough numbers there, even for a design patent.

The number should look like US20030084544 A1 if it's a publication, the 1st 4 numbers are the pub year, or

The number should look like US5425195 A or B if the patent was granted.

Simple way to make a similar rig is to snell a hook on your leader and then take a seperate piece of mono and snell the second hook onto the first one's leader. Basically placing the leader against the shank of the hook and snelling/wrapping around it. Trim the second snell knot and you have a sliding hook above the original snelled hook. I know guys that have been using this style for decades with good success.

I do what GT wrote when I do it. My problem is that the top snell slides down on it's own after a few minutes.

I can't find that patent number. I had it when the Boa 1st came out. I seem to remember it was in the ad. I suppose they took it out.

If anyone sees the number, I'll post the patent here.

What if the fish has the top hook in its mouth and you go to set and it slides enought that you don't get a good set? Or is the top hook just to secure a strip bait? I'd say your better off snelling one then the other on the tag end.

What if the fish has the top hook in its mouth and you go to set and it slides enought that you don't get a good set? Or is the top hook just to secure a strip bait? I'd say your better off snelling one then the other on the tag end.

That's exactly the point of the locking/sliding knot and BOA rig. Your way leaves no adjustment possibility.