Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve K

Changes to Duolock snaps?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that the part of #54 Duolock snaps that hooks back onto the snap is shorter now? I cannot bend them anymore to keep them from opening because they are too short. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve, I haven't noticed. I think there are slight variations during manufacturing...I've seen some longer than others. There's also two different "brands" of otherwise identical looking snaps - one is a more springy, lighter wire - the other, the good one, a solid, heavier wire. Given the choice, get the heavy ones smile.gif

TimS

good point felt, but for a nite of jiggin like at the ditch, i tie direct, and for the occassional jig i squeeze it again so it is the same shape. some plugs are a pain to get on it as well(like bottle plugs ) and i know others may not agree but i think they are the best snap out there for pluggin.

[This message has been edited by BrianZ (edited 07-24-2002).]

BZ, I've seen my share of #6 Cross-Loc snaps open up when they shouldn't have cwm24.gif

The problem is that any snap that can be opened by just inward pressure on one leg (convenient) can be opened by a twisting striper on a mission. Doesn't matter how big the snap is, in fact, the longer ones allow more leverage and offer more opportunity for one leg to become pressed during the fight.

The answer is a snap that cannot be opened by just inward pressure. The only one I've found is the Duo-loc but it must be modified to make it work. Bent properly, the duo-loc requires inward and upward pressure to open...and, luckily, the stripers ain't figgered that one out yetsmile.gif

TimS

Tim

part of my problem is i can't get them(duolocks) to bend the right way all the time and go thru a few in the process, the other thing (as bad as the logic is) I personally havent seen one open so in my mind they are ok(crosslocks). i should just take your word for it and as soon as i go thru the 3 or 4 dozen crosslocks i have left ill go back to the duo locks, dont let me buy anymore ok wink.gif

BZ, if they work fer you, use 'em...ain't no way I wanna be responsible if yah lose the beast of yer lifetime cause of the snap!cwm24.gif

Did I mention the crosslocks don't fit in small jigs?wink.gif

TimS

Tim, I got some Duolocks (can't remember what size) from you when I ordered my Sluggos for the SluggoPalooza back in June. I noticed apparently the same thing Steve is mentioning, which is that the locking part of the wire at the end isn't big enough to really crimp. When I tried crimping, two or three of them broke on me, almost as if the metal was brittle or something. It showed a bright coppery color on the inside.

After breaking two or three trying to crimp them, I decided just to use the remaining ones as-is. It worked out OK, because I landed the big fish of the Palooza (24 1/2 pounds) using one of those Duolocks, but I was doing considerable praying about my knots and that snap as I was fighting her. smile.gif

Kentucky Fisherman, I had the same thing happen after a few bends to get them to fit bucktail eyes. I was shocked when it happened because I thought the metal was made to be bent. Im guessing the fact that the snap has that sharp bend at such a small section in the design (the end), causes it to be weaker than the other bends. (That sounded confusing didn't it) icon15.gif Another thing is right out of the package they are very stiff, and take some time becoming flexible. Its the flexing back and forth that worries me about them. Maybe Im just excessively tough on em at times.

Does Spro make that style snap?

Ant

Relax fellers, don't you worry about breaking open a #54 Duo-loc. It simply ain't gonna happen, no way, no how, I promise. The bending with pliers fatigues the metal and yes, they can sometimes break the little bend off. Don't bend them so far, only enough that a straight in push won't pop the snap open. If you try to bend it flat, it's gonna snap most of the time.

I've used the same snaps for weeks at a time without ever having one fail from opening/closing it. Closed with pliers I've had them dead lift a 35# anchor encrusted with barnacles and crap. They don't break, rest assuredsmile.gif

Now if you are breaking them bending the little loop, you might need to rethink yer bending stragetywink.gif I gently close the loop with needlenose pliers - it's much easier to bend a whole pack at home before you go fishin' - that way you can get them done properly. It's normal to squeeze a few too far so that they break, it happens. Shouldn't be a problem once you get the hang of it...I might snap 1 outta ever 18-24 snaps I bend. On a bad night, could be every 3rd one if I have to do it on the water with cold wet handsicon15.gif

***WARNING - The "hyper snaps" made by SPRO are garbage - DO NOT TRUST THEM! I tried one pack of 50# Hyper snaps - two times I popped open the snap with 20# PowerPro and a 20# Fluorocarbon leader - I bet the snaps popped open with less than 5 or 6# of straight pull. Thank God I didn't hook any fish before I tossed the rest of them in the trash. Worst product SPRO makes, even more so than the auto-shedding bucktailsicon15.gif

TimS

Tim, could you post a picture of your modified duo-lock snaps. I can't figure out exactly what you are doing to the snaps. Also I dont have a scanner to scan a picture, but have you heard of Figure 8 snaps?. They are similar to duo-lock snaps. They are the same size as a size 54 snap and rated for 200lbs. They are manufactured by Gold Star/Silver Horde fishing supplies. They were made for Salmon fishing. They work great. They don't fit small jigs unfortunately.Thanks for all the help.

Tight Lines, Dave

Hello, I see my messege is about to go to page two. Could someone please give me an answer. I really want to know how Tim bends the dou-lock snaps to keep them for opening.

Tight Lines, Dave

A size 5 or 6 HD split ring on the eye of a bottle plug or darter allows you to use any snap ya want wink.gif

I find Coastlocks to be stronger than Berkley Crosslocks.

I thought I had a photo, but I was mistakenicon15.gif

It's pretty easy to explain, the only thing you need to be familiar with is the Duolock snap. When you open/close the snap, you do so by squeezing it until the metal "tag" end of the snap is clear from body of the snap. It's that tag or terminal end of the snap that needs to be bent. They are usually straight out or slightly bent already. They should be bent "down" so that simply squeezing the snap that would normally open it no longer does. Open/close the snap a few times while looking at it - see the part the "holds" it shut? Picture bending that so that your normal open/closing would no longer work - do thatwink.gif

TimS