Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteD

Help with rattle flies

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I'm really liking rattle flies. The problem is they last about 1 fish and the rattle gets smashed. I thought about epoxying the rattle but I don't know if that would solve anything. Any thoughts would help.

Heres what I did. Not saying its fool proof but it has stood up to some casting abuse.

I only used rattels on bendback style flies so far.

I tied up the rattle using mono thread. Slid some ex-body type material over the rattle and tied that down with mono thread. Epoxyed the whole thing. This causes a slight wobble in the fly but thats not neccesarily a bad thing I guess.

Try to find some rattles that are not in glass tubes. I have some plastic ones and some metal ones. I do not recall where I got them from, I think that bass pro or cabelas would have them.

I got some plastic ones that are sold near the rubber worms for freshy LMB in most tackle shops. I have not used them much, but they are hard plastic, I can't imagine them crushing cwm13.gif . I just lashed them to the hook with thread and couple drops of CA glue and then tied my fly on top of them.

Good Luck!

Alan

One of the biggest problems with rattles is everyone wants to tie them on the shank and then tie the fly over or around the rattle. To solve this is to simply let the rattle lay behind the hook bend instead and not on the shank. The tyer can use corsair tubing, or what I like, plastic tubing. Place the rattle in the device and attach it to the hookbend, allowing a bare shank for tying the fly. When tying with rattles, just keep them off the shank!

BobPop

Thanks for everyones advise. I found Bass Pro has a lot of rattles for rubber worms. I'll try a different ones and see if they work.

Bob, I couldn't agree more. I tie this floating sand eel on a Japanese jigging hook with almost no shank. The tough part is to get the whole thing to float. Half of this fly is foam, the other rattle. Below is what a bass does to the rattle when it hits. It obliterates the rattle.

FloatSeel.jpg

Peter,

That's why I prefer the rubber tubing to encase the rattle. You might try the metal ones instead of glass next time. Do you think rattles make the difference for you?

BobPop

Bob,

I'm begining to think rattles help in some situations more and more. I was fishing a bay last week, and fish were popping all over. They must have been on sand eels, but the only hits I got were a slow retrieve with the rattle fly. I tried them after the rattle was smashed, but got no hits with those flies. I think the rattle helps the fish key in on the fly, especially at night.

I will try the rubber tubing. I was also thinking about hanging a rattle off the back of one of your Hollow flies.

The tubing is the stuff they use to replace the tails on AVA eels. You can get it at any saltwater bait shop. I used the thin stuff.

I got new rattles from Bass Pro. Metal, and round plastic. The metal ones look OK, but are not as loud as the glass pyrex ones. I will post a picture soon.

Here is my collection of rattles. I ordered all from Bass Pro. The glass pyrex ones sound the best, but the brass metal tube ones seem to be more durable.

rattle.jpg