Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dchoi

tim - your slab fly

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Tim,

I've been trying to tie up some slab flies and cannot get the flat profile on the body (or wing). Instead I'm getting a fly that is more roundish in shape. How do you tie them up that way?

dc

dchoi,

trim the sides and not the top/bottom. problem solved. wink.gif

I don't know how you're spinnin' them so that could perhaps be a problem, too. I wouldn't worry about them, anyway. Have you seen the slabs Tabory ties himeself? They're hideous but still manage to catch fish.

[This message has been edited by Fly By Nite (edited 10-25-2001).]

Dchoi, I don't have the link handy, but if you use the search function and search for 'slab fly' I remember Tim did an excellently detailed post on exactly how to tie one a while back, complete with a picture of the final product.

-Matt

Hey Dave,

This link takes you to a picture of the slab and discussion on eyes http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...ML/000173.html

I'm not sure if I understand the problem you are having, but...

When I tie mine, I go very sparse with the bucktail (wing/body) on the sides.

BTW, did JimK show you the white slider I gave him... figured he'd get to use it before I would.

Good luck.

Dave

dchoi,

You wouldn't know I live in Jersey if you did an analysis of the sand on my waders. I am primarily fishing LI these days. It's much easier to leave my wife and newborn off at her mom's and drive 15 minutes to Jones Beach or other spots. From the reports in the Flatlands forum and the fact that I got skunked at JB/Green Island and Gilgo, looks like I would have been better off in Jersey this weekend. Oh well, at least I was fishin.

Do you ever head out to Long Island?

Dave