Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobV27

Penn 525Mag vs. AbuGarcia 7000C4 LD

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Just bought the Abu Garcia 7000 C4 LD for surf casting and using on my boat when able. I realize that it is not the best Abu baitcaster on the market but I like the idea that it is a strong 20lb. class reel that can throw 2 oz. & up. I will use it to fish in the Western Long Island Sound for striped bass, blues, etc. Gear ratio is 4:1 which is good for cranking up large fish but slow as molasses if you are using plugs or trying to get average size fish in to shore (I realize that not every reel is designed to do both very well). Reel has centrifugal brakes but they are not adjustable without opening up the reel and it does not have a dial on the side that you can adjust the spool tension for different size weights/bait. It does have the level wind feature which I don't mind because I am not that interested in thumbing the line on the spool. But if you get birds nests, the level wind makes it a bit harder to get the line straightened out.

On the other hand... I am also interested in the Penn 525Mag. I understand that it casts very well, it does not have a level wind, uses a star drag that supposedly is better for casting, has an excellent drag system and a much faster gear ratio (6:1). I was concerned that this gear ratio may be a bit too fast for cranking up large fish but will be great for plugs. If I should be so "fortunate" to finally land a "large" fish, I could always raise the rod up to pull the fish in and crank as I lower the rod back down so that the 6:1 gear ratio is not a problem. I see that the new Shimano's Torium and Tekota also have a 6.3:1 gear ratio and they are for large fish so I guess the ratio is ok. I know that I cannot change the gear ratio on the 525Mag with optional gears since they cannot be changed on this reel. According to the literature for the Penn 525Mag, it is designed to throw the lightest weights with ease... Although I will use plugs, etc., I will also be using 3-4 oz. weights with bunker chunks... I think that this may be a bit much for the 525Mag. I like the idea that the 525Mag has adjustable spool controls that I can make while fishing without having to take the spool apart.

What I might consider doing is keeping the Abu 7000 C4 LD for heavy weights & bait despite the slower gear ratio (which I guess I will need for "large" fish) and using my Penn 975 for plugs, lures, etc. Although the Penn 975 gear ratio is slow too (4.5:1). I fished with it once using poppers and found that it was a bit slow. If I tried to pop the plug on the water surface just using the crank handle on the reel, the gear ratio was a bit slow. I had to pop the plug on the water surface using sweeps of the rod tip and then reel in the slack.

I could also use the Penn 975 to crank up large fish since it has a slower gear ratio but I don't think that it is heavy enough to cast 3-4 oz. weights with bunker chunks. Could this be done with the Penn 525Mag???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IF I had my choice it would be the 525, 7000LD, then the 975.

The 525 will throw bait and eight without a problem and it will whoop just about anything that swims. Good drag and good line capacity.

I love my old maroon 7000C3s and they are still the work horses of my arsenal. They are very tame and have their fighting power is pretty hard to beat. I personaly would never buy a LD for surf duty but you have it so use it.

As for the 975, ahhh.....we willn't go there.

An Abu 7000 with bushings or the endless variety with bearings (for virtually the same price) is a great, great all-around reel. A little big, a little clunky, a little wide, a little slow, but super versatile.

A Newell 229 is another superstar if you fish braid. Temperamental compared to Abus, but you can't beat the weight, casting ability and lack of levelwind.

That's it for out of the box. The rest need to be tweaked one way or another.

A self magged Avet SX is all metal (a huge turnoff for me), but an incredible casting reel. It surprised me.

If you are tough on your equipment, an old school Penn Squidder/Surfcaster/Beachmaster/Monofil with a plastic or aluminum spool is perfect for chunking and probably adequate for anything else

My weird favorite is a discontinued Penn 525GS (no mag) with the optional 4.25:1 gears.

PS, gear ratios are not created equal. A Shimano Trinidad or Torium smokes the field in terms of 6:1 cranking power.

Poppers? I'd get a spinner.

heavy enough to cast 3-4 oz. weights with bunker chunks. Could this be done with the Penn 525Mag???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I cast all the times bait chunks with 4-6oz weight, using an 11' Lami and a 525Mag, which indeed is a great reel.

DMala

Thanks for the feedback. I will take back the Abu Garcia reel to the store and get a Penn 525 Mag. It seems like a much stronger reel and I like the adjustable cast controls on it. Then I will have 3 reels all from Penn - the 5500SS spinning reel, the 975 and the 525 Mag.

I like my 525Mag, but do think it can be temperamental. Casting low density plugs into the wind takes some practice. Casting dense plugs, or sinkers and bait, should be easy from the get-go. Your intended use from a boat is interesting. The reel certainly has the drag for small tuna, and I do mean schoolie YFT and BFT, so you're carrying a bigger gun then you'd think from looking. I have zero experience with the Abu LD so this post is NOT a comparison.

If your gonna buy a 525 you'd also better buy about 3000 yards of bulk line because thats how nuch it will eat up in backlashes before you can learn to control it<<< it youd rather spend the time fishing istead of cursing at your reel keep the ABU.... the 525 is a terrble boat reel... that 6.1 cranking ratio makes it a weak reel for bottom fishing..

[ 08-21-2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Awesome John ]

Bob,

A 1/4# spool of mono is all your going to need to dial in the 525 Mag. Go slow with it and you will love that reel. Abu makes a great reel also, but I think the Penn just may hold up longer.

Good Luck,

Steve smile.gif

I agree with Steve icon14.gif , The 525 mag is a great reel; perhaps the best light CT conventional out there, and if properly tuned, should not be any harder to cast than any other.

My first use of a 525 mag was one of the first ones released (almost a prototype) owned by George Pope, mounted on a 13' Conoflex Enigma South casting 150 gram Breakaway weights. I tried it with full mags, and after it got settled in, had it at about mid control the rest of the time, using red rocket oil. Never did have it fluff/go out of control, and I can assure you, that combo can dump the spool.

To avoid blowups, I really think casting smoothness is very important with this reel, as is using an oil of moderate viscosity, and NOT filling the spool too much.

It is true that some 525 mags came from the factory with the polarity of the mags out of sync, and 525 mags seem to get faster with use. Adding an extra magnet or two behind the mag holder will help things out.

As far as power, even with 6.1 gears, the reel seems like a winch to me.

Best of luck,

SS

"fortunate" to finally land a "large" fish, I could always raise the rod up to pull the fish in and crank as I lower the rod back down "

That's how you're supposed to do it. You don't pull fish in with the reel.

I've got a 525Mag and I like it a lot better then my 7000. I've had one blow-up, and funny thing is, I knew it was going to happen before I cast.