Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoliti

Looking to start

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey guy's,

I'm looking at getting in to plug building. I've read through the Lure Building FAQ, great info BTW, and since I've never used a lathe before are there any books that I can read, other sites to visit, that will give me some info regarding their use. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to get a couple of preformed bodies to start with and go through the assembly process a couple of times first before I make the investment in a lathe

thanks,

Tony

First off...May the good lord have mercy on your soul biggrin.gif Turning your own plugs is rewarding...and addictive!

Now that thats out of the way, beginning with kits is a good way to start, although I already had a lathe and jumped in with both feet. Having done that I cant suggest which kits are good because I didnt build any.

As far as a lathe book...cant really recommend one as I learned by doing. Supervised by another turner, of course. It's kinda like learning to drive a car or fly a plane by reading a book...you will get the general idea but you have to do it. My suggestion is to find someone in your area who has a lathe and see if they will give you some quick lessons. If your not careful it is relativly easy to get yourself hurt, I know from experience.

If you want to read about lathe use, your local library, the internet, and even some of your woodworking stores will have information.

Good luck, be safe, and welcome to the madness.

Check out DIY network on Saturdays at 9:30PM EST they are running Woodturning Techniques. But be careful after a few episodes I bought a wood turning lathe and the band saw is on the way. I turned a few plugs and it was fun. During the process I found that there is certain feel one develops as you are working with wood.

As far as kits checkout (we don't promote or discuss them here) for pre shaped plugs and hardware. Cabela's and Jann's Netcraft also have kits but I think that they are more freshwater sized.

Don't forget about safety, fast rotating objects and sharp tools are dangerous! cwm31.gif

Good luck and welcome to the lunatic's asylum. cwm12.gif

I live on the east end also on the north fork.If you want pm me and i can show you some of the stuff that i have learned from these masters.Also i think Stoth

lives out here to we could set it up so maybe he can come over too.

Eastendlu, I would really appreciate getting together and seeing how this is done. I've been reading through posts and looking at pics for a few months now and want to give it a go. I'm in East Hampton, so a trip to the North Fork is just a boat ride away.

Tony