Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bido

Army Corps Of *******s...

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I saw on the news last night that the Deal Lake flume is all but closed due to the beach replenishment efforts of the Army Corps of Engineers..local fishing groups and Frank Pallone are calling for an emergency NJDEP action to reopen the flume in time for the spring herring spawn. Anyone been over to see how closed off it is? What do you think of the ACOE?

There was a picture in the Asbury Park Press this morning.

I wonder what will happen if they don't open the pipe.

Will all them tasty herring just stack up in the ocean out in front of the pipe ?

you should research what the nj laws say about fish runs...in mass, its illegal for anyone to hinder the migration/spawning of herring within a designated fish run. any work/repairs done to a fish ladder/run have to be done during the offseason.

Wow, that would suck. I was by there 2 days ago & the sand is so backed up into the flume I dont think the herring would be able to get in there anyway. At high tide there was about 2 feet of water running into the pipe , but the sand bar 10 feet off the poles was 3" deep. Maybe this is because it has been closed off for a while. I was looking so forward to the run too. Where alse would they go if it was closed. How long will the project take 6 months? I guess in the long run it will be for the better.

The beach replinishment fiasco not only screwed up our jetties now they are going to destroy an annual replinishment of the herring population.Nice job guys!!!!

What will it take to dredge out an pathway for this Spring run? What would have happened to us if we did what the engineers did???? An x-live liner!!!!

What will it take to dredge out an pathway for this Spring run?

a determined weasel with a shovel biggrin.gif

besides hcw & BrianZ said they want to learn how to dig, something about trying some physical labor this decade.. i dunno.. but if you all swing by, bring samwiches or something ok?

[This message has been edited by Otter (edited 02-22-2001).]

Eminent Brothers,

I spent 20 years of my early life at 1520 Fourth Avenue, Asbury Park, N.J. Deal Lake was right acress the street from me and I was less then a mile from the ocean. Pulled many a fish out of Deal Lake. In fact, we had a 16' runabout we launched at a ramp located near the railway tressle between mainstreat and Asbury High School. The last time I saw Deal Lake it was so full of algae and weeds, boating was not possible west of the railroad. How is it now?? For all you old timers, I was a life guard at the Monte Carlo swimming pool and remember the Monteray before it was demolished.

Graybeard

Just got my JCAA newsletter. It seems that someone has written a letter for an Expedited Emergency Relief to Save the Annual Herring Spawning Run. Let's just see what that does. If that means anything to the bureaucrats that would amaze me.

Zeee