Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattG

STICKEY SAND

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Been a long time lurker on this site. Ive just read something that got my scales up and I had to come out of the closet. HappyWave.gif This is an article from the Press of Atlantic City. Why do they always have to try and change mother nature mad.gif

November 22, 2003

Company proposes to combat erosion by making beach sand stick together

By JARRETT RENSHAW Staff Writer, (609) 978-2015

HARVEY CEDARS - A Pennsylvania company wants to answer New Jersey's beach-erosion problem by applying a chemical to the beach that makes the sand stick together.

Specialty Minerals, based in Bethlehem, Pa., says it has developed a product that will reverse the charges of sand particles so that they will attract rather than repel each other.

By reversing the attraction, the company says it will bond sand particles together, stopping sand from washing out to sea during storms.

The opposite process, repulsion, allows, for instance, salt particles to repel each other, making it easier for salt to flow through your saltshaker, the firm says.

The company claims that the chemicals that aid the flow of salt get into natural waters through the release of sewage. These chemicals then coat the beach sand and help it flow away with the currents, it says.

The borough of Harvey Cedars is considering testing Specialty Minerals' method on its beaches after hearing the company's proposal earlier this month.

"We are always looking at ways to help stop beach erosion and this is an interesting method," Harvey Cedars Mayor Jonathan Oldham said.

The mayor said the borough is looking for more information on the product, such as where it has been used, what the results were in those areas and possible harmful side effects.

The Pennsylvania company refused to be interviewed for the story. Michael Morton, a representative of the company, said he would give a comment once Harvey Cedars allows the company to perform a test on its beaches.

According to company literature, provided by borough officials, simple additives called free-flowing agents and anti-caking agents are released into rivers, waterways and oceans through the sewage system.

These same agents are used in food, paint and other industries. They prevent items such as table salt, laundry powders, baby powder and flour from sticking together.

The anti-caking agents make their way onto the beaches, coating the sand and causing sand particles to repel each other, giving sand its free-flowing characteristic, the company's literature says.

As a result, storm conditions and waves easily move the sand particles and take them off the shore.

It is this continuous process, the company literature says, that causes the erosion of the beaches.

Specialty Minerals wants to introduce its product, Sand-Rx, to help reverse this process.

According to its Material Safety Data sheet, required by the Food and Drug Administration, Sand-Rx is an odorless, yellowish-gold liquid that is water-soluble.

The product would be sprayed onto the beach. How much product is used and in what concentration could not be determined.

Sand-Rx utilizes prolamines, which are natural proteins used in plants and animals to promote growth, to reverse the charge of anti-caking agent on sand particles, according to the company literature.

This procedure allows sand particles to bond together, causing sand to stick together, it says.

The company guarantees that the sand will look and feel the same as it does now, saying there will be no noticeable difference.

It also guarantees that the product is a nontoxic, nonpolluting and made up of products that are generally recognized as safe.

According to the material data sheet, the potential health effects include "mild irritation to severe damage to the respiratory tract" due to inhalation. Very large doses indigested can cause burns of the mouth, throat and stomach and may irritate skin.

But the product, which contains sodium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide, would be used in such small concentrations that the effects would be neutralized, according to company literature.

The company told borough officials that the process has been used in several New England states, but where and its effectiveness are unknown.

A professor from Rutgers Marine and Coastal Sciences said he was unaware of the product. He said that beach erosion through storms is a natural occurrence that, if altered, could hurt other beaches adjacent to the test beach.

He also said that natural beach erosion is made worse by man-made structures and human involvement.

A spokesman from the NJ Department of Environmental Protection said he was unaware of any procedure such as Specialty Minerals proposes.

Oldham said even if the board decides to move ahead with the proposal; it would need approval from several state agencies.

To e-mail Jarrett Renshaw at The Press:

JRenshaw@pressofac.com

I think that we should start our own study and get some local town to fund it. We could convince them that BUNKER OIL will solve all the beach errosion problems biggrin.gif

MattG

In the guise for profit, man has always sought to make improvements with nature until years later something bad happens(in many cases). This info will reach the public or may not, depending how much money the lobbyists have to suppress it.

Its like cancer- I read all the time how we are winning the battle and so on. I work in the pharmaceutical industry and let me tell you that is the furthest thing from the truth.

And what affect will this product have on the marine life that uses the sand as it's home and feeding ground? (crabs, sand flea etc) I'm very suprised that this "mildly Irratating" substance is even being considered. Did any one ask the Piping Plover's what they thought about this stuff ?

A-Jay

BALDERDASH!!!

1st - IF in their own words the sand will look and feel like it does before the treatment - THEN - erosion will still occur.

2nd - If the government officials rally looked into the matter of erosion, they would find other causes than this crapolla about stuff being washing into the water causing changes in electric charges - yadda yadda yadda.

3rd - the cause of most beach erosion is either natural perturbations of the shoreline ...LIVE WITH IT!!

Or - changes to these natural perturbations --- usually brought on by poor development practices, zoning and permiting .. STOP IT

I thought I could sneak in under the radar today since it's a holiday, but bluefish, you caught me wink.gif . I'm really bad at telling jokes, but here it goes confused.gif .

What's the difference between a Proctoligist and a bartender??

A bartender only has to deal with ONE a@#hole at a time.

[ 11-27-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: MattG ]

Welcome Matt...... cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

That's freakin me out eek.gif I,ve done lots of work with SMI (when I had a job). They were a customer of mine and buy a lot of dispersants (polymers) from my X employer Rohm and Haas. The concept is VERY REAL. They would porbably dose the beaches with a binder polymer prior to a Noreaster. The polymers are water soluble and harmless to the environment, but they won't last very long.......one tide.

I've pondered this idea for years. It's not nearly as cost effective as a jetty.

Let'em do it!

The sand will coagulate into one big piece, the storm will pick it up and set it right on the beach houses. The beach will then be another block deeper wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Plenty of room for everyone icon14.gif