Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

Opinions about Shimano Corsair 400 reels, please...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about the Shimano Corsair reels?

I just bought one, the Corsari 401, LH retrieve. It has a centrifugal casting control, and is the first reel I've ever owned where I could just haul off with 100% power, and not worry about backlashes at all!

Everything seems smooth so far. What do you guys think of this reel? Does it hold up to big fish, salt and sand?

Another question: What length and action ROD would you pair up with this reel? I'm fairly new to conventional fishing, so I need help, but have a limited budget.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

TH

TH, now just where you gonna get any sand on that thing? wink.gif

In all seriousness, I've never fished one but have waded thru nothing but "bad press" posts on the Corsairs, sorry to say. For the same money you could have had an Abu 6500C3.

Your rod question is just a little broad... reels of that class size can - and do - fit rather nicely on everthing from 5' musky plugging rods to 10' plus surf rods, so length and action-wise, it's rather more of a case of what won't it match up with.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 10-06-2000).]

redface.gifHa, Ha, Ha.....

I'll make it to the beach SOMEDAY! You can bet on that! But salt is another matter! I get that on everything!

Do you have any answers, or are you just going to sit there and heckle me?!? confused.gif

But it's okay...(Sniff!) It makes me feel at home! biggrin.gif

TH

Thill,

I've got one, it is number one n the list of tackle going up on the auction block at E-Bay this winter! I hate it! Thumb release locks up on me all the time and any sand only makes matters worse. Sorry, I'm sure you didn't want to hear this but personally I'd take it back and save a few bucks more and get a reel that will last for you. ABU garcia, Shimano Calcutta, beter reels are worth the $$$ in the long run. Go to E-bay and do a search on Shimano reels... there are more Corsairs on there than anything else, and they go cheap!

It figures...

I bought this reel from Ebay for very little, so I guess you get what you pay for...

Thanks, Michael, for the info. Hey, I just heard some GOOD news, possibly. On another message board, they just told me that if I have more than one problem or a major problem with this reel, Shimano will trade me for one of the new GOLD Corsairs that are supposed to have a bunch of fixes for the glitches!

You might want to look into it! THEY claim that the gold ones have not had the same problems, so far...

Is yours a silver or gold reel? Does anyone out there have a GOLD Corsair?

TH

I don't have the gold corsair, but I did buy the same reel you currently have, and after a few trips with it, I took it back. I have a slew of the Abu reels and wanted to give the Shimano's a try in the salt and regreted it.

Get yourself a 6501 C3 or even better a C4. You can pick up a factory reconditioned one on ebay from time to time for less thar $50, if that's what your after. I have both C3's and C4's and like them very much. They are easy to tear down and maintain yourself (just whatch out for that little C clip frown.gif ) and as long as you give them drag washers a little attention, they will be just fine smile.gif.

I do have some Shimano's that I do enjoy fishing with, a Callcutta 151 and a Curado, but they stay in the fresh water wink.gif.

Ed J

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 10-06-2000).]

Thill, the biggest problem I had with mine was sand getting into the space between the spool and the plactic shroud that surrounds it. On subsequent casts the plastic would be severely worn by the sand that would get trapped in there. I was happy to see that Shimano redesigned the Corsair but they didn't fix this particular problem so back to my Abu C4 I went.

Rui

Thill,

Junk it, For the same price the Abu 6500 is far superior. If you want the cadilac buy a calcutta. My coursair had the handle fall off while fighting a fish on only the second trip I used it on. Now it sits on a old rod for my kids to use for fluke. As far as salt goes, I allways wash my equipment and give the reels a shot of WD-40. For the boat conventional reels rule. biggrin.gif I dont know nuttin about sand.

Thill,

What kind of fishing will you be doing with your conventional setup? Reason I ask is I have some extra tackle that might fit your needs that I'd be willing to let go at bargain prices:

1) BPS Walleye Extreme (54 million modulus), 7' MH action, rated for 3/8 - 1oz.: this is a nice rod that I bought when BPS had clearance prices on last year's models. Rod has never been fished and would make a fine assassin rod. Bought it for $50 (original retail was $90) but would let it go for $35.

I know you're trying left handed conventional but if you're willing to go with a RH, the following might work for you.

1) Ambassadeur 6500 C3 (new model) in mint condition, fished twice. I bought it for $75 from BPS but would let it for $50.

2) Ambassadeur UC6500 C3 (new model) in mint condition, virtually NIB. I bought it for $90 and would like to get $70 for it.

3) 2 Ambassadeur 5500 C3s in good mechanical shape. Cosmetics less than perfect but still much life left in these reels. $35 each or $60 for both.

If you're around the DC area, it would be a pleasure to have you over to the house and take a bunch a stuff off my hands. Prices are cheaper in my basement.

If anyone else is interested in this stuff, let me know. I'll throw in free shipping via USPS priority. I'll probably put a message up on the sale board listing more stuff in the next week or so.

Also, I plan on attending the fling and would be happy to bring some of this extra tackle with me if anyone's interested in giving it a look over.

In two words--absolute junk. Spend the $80 on an Abu 6500. I'd even take a Penn Levelmatic over a Corsair, and that's saying a lot.

Oops, I missed eelman's assessment---but great minds often run in the same channels biggrin.gif Or whatever kind of minds Rho Dylund natives have.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 10-06-2000).]

FIRST,

Thank you, Mark! That is a great offer! I'm not going to take you up on the offer quite yet, though. The delve into conventional tackle is still in the experimental stages for me. I will probably regret it, though.

I just sent my Corsair back to Shimano for the upgrade to the Gold series. The anti-reverse skips. I'm hoping that they upgrade it, and that it will serve me well, since I probably will not get any sand in it.

THANK YOU for the honest appraisal, everyone. I got this reel in trade for some fly lines that I bought on Ebay, so it didn't cost me anything! It does cast like a dream, so I will use it as a "practice" reel! If it holds up against salt, I will use it for light trolling, which I almost NEVER do. But you know how us fishermen are. Have to be prepared!

I'll let you know if they upgrade the reel for me, and how it does.

Thanks again, everyone!

TH