Tagger

how to locate eyes consistently..

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

somebody asked a while back, how to locate eyes on a plug . I finally took some pics . This jig was a quicky ,,I just grabbed the closest piece of wood and glued a 3/8" dowel in it ..If your using a different size belly hole,use the same size dowel.. First you should have located eye from front to back of plug while it was spinning on the lathe .. now to locate it verticaly..

eyesone.JPG

After you've glued a piece of dowel sticking up like a half inch in a piece of wood ..Now stick plug over it,,.Dowel should fit snug in belly hole and hold plug steady.

eyetwo.JPG

next mark the height you would like to see the eye at ..measure up to the eye and cut a piece of scrap that height .. this one needs to be 1/2" block

eyethree.JPG

now just using block mark the eye on either side of plug . Now that you've established the height every plug should be exactly the same using jig .. easy ,,,can do with eyes closed ..

eye4.JPG

bigger plug bigger block..I mark 3 ounce pikie eye with 7/8" block .. eek.gif

Wow cool stuff there...Iv been using calipers, a level and a vice, mount the plug head up or side ways softly in a vice ensuring its level.  Then open the calipers over the area I want the eyes whith a level taped to the foregrip.  Once its level I mark the points with a pencil and I'm 99% spot on in this way.  I'm sure theres a quicker way but it works with the tools I have.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

I've been using a height gauge on a piece of old marble for a lot of my stuff.  I make a lot of spooks and other lures that have eyes and belly holes on center.  Just measure while the square ends are still on. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I do something similar. But I realized that it's much easier to leave the square ends on and drill a small hole all the way through the other side of the plug. Then I just use a forstner but to enlarge the eye sockets. 

Edited by surfninja
sp.

Last thing I cut off are the squared off ends, I use a drill press with a fence, set the stop on the fence where you want any drilled hole to be and comes out perfectly centered, and same distance for all plugs being drilled

20210126_184023.jpg

13 mins ago, Punch63 said:

Last thing I cut off are the squared off ends, I use a drill press with a fence, set the stop on the fence where you want any drilled hole to be and comes out perfectly centered, and same distance for all plugs being drilled

20210126_184023.jpg

This method does work well.  But lumber has a tendency of warping and if that’s the case this method can be flawed.  Sorry if my pics a little squiggly.  Had to do a pano shot to fit the pieces in frame.

4DB78A57-59E4-4118-8467-0A4B7E953687.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, t_man7 said:

This method does work well.  But lumber has a tendency of warping and if that’s the case this method can be flawed.  Sorry if my pics a little squiggly.  Had to do a pano shot to fit the pieces in frame.

4DB78A57-59E4-4118-8467-0A4B7E953687.jpeg

Sorry an 8" piece of 2" x 2" stock does not have much, if very little variance over it's length. I get more of a variance if a small wood chip gets in between the squared end and the fence.

Edited by Punch63

1 hour ago, Punch63 said:

Sorry an 8" piece of 2" x 2" stock does not have much, if very little variance over it's length. I get more of a variance if a small wood chip gets in between the squared end and the fence.

True, but I like to take everything into account even if it’s to the point where it barely doesn’t matter.

The way Eddie, Tagger, lays out the eyes is the way to go. From that layout you go to your V block to drill the eyes. Everything will

line up. 
From a machinist’s perspective. Overkill maybe but precision and repetitive absolutely. If your going to work without the sq ends, which is what I much prefer, you will be smart to use your belly hole as how you machine every thing. All my fixtures use the belly hole to mount the plugs to said fixtures for darters, lip slots, belly wgts., etc...That being said you must make your belly hole precision in size and location and then have pins to go in these holes and into fixtures for mounting.  Doing it this way makes building repetitive precision plugs fairly easy once you figure out your fixtures and use pins and belly holes to mount them securely. Building a nice V Block fixture to do a lot of your drilling and really your first step to the following steps is very important and will be imperative to your success in the following procedures. Now if your building 5 plugs a season this is not worthwhile but if your looking to build many and want consistent results it’s worth investing the time and effort to figure out.