Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seadogface

Dogs know good people

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

This photograph shows a red Doberman kissing an exhausted fireman. He had just saved her from a fire in her house, rescuing her by carrying her out of the house into her front yard, while he continued to fight the fire. She is pregnant. The firefighter was afraid of her at first, because he had never been around a Doberman before. When he finally got done putting the fire out, he sat down to catch his breath and rest. A photographer from the Charlotte, North Carolina newspaper, "The Observer," noticed this red Doberman in the distance looking at the fireman. He saw her walking straight toward the fireman and wondered what she was going to do. As he raised his camera, she came up to the tired man who had saved her life and the lives of her babies, and kissed him, when the photographer snapped this photograph.

dobiefire2.jpg

My dog knows good kids. Usually when a kid walks into the shop, she heads for the back till they leave. When she walks up to a kid and lets them pet her I always ask if they're a good kid and get good grades in school. Every time, the answer is yes, and their parents back them up. And she has only attempted to bite one person in 11 years without being ordered to do so, and it was a person I thought was of questionable character. They are amazing animals.

It ain't just dogs, it's cats too!!

My cat won't come out for anyone. If anyone else in the house 'cept the folks that live here, my cat is in hiding... never seen him approach another person.

After I had my second surgery it was pretty funny... because after the first AND the second, the cat knew not to touch that shoulder. Anyways, I was in really really bad shape one day and needed help. I was crying from pain and couldn't get my brace back on by myself and it was about two days after surgery. I called a friend to come and help me. Lee and his wife showed up and my cat was all over them. I was shocked. I guess he knew that they were there to help me. My cat is very protective too... if someone is over and gets too close to me even though you think he's hiding, he's watching... and will usually run up and bite or scratch the person. It's kind of funny. Another way my cat thinks he's a dog.

While it's a great picture, the story behind it is a little different.

From Snopes.com:

Origins: The scene pictured above was captured by Charlotte Observer Patrick Schneider during a house fire in July 1999 and shows firefighter Jeff Clark receiving a doggie greeting from a pregnant red Doberman named Cinnamon. As the Observer described the circumstances behind the photograph in an April 2005 retrospective:

Charlotte firefighter Jeff Clark and Cinnamon, a pregnant red Doberman, gained international exposure with this photograph snapped by the Observer's Patrick Schneider during a July 1999 house fire. Seen through wire services and the Internet, the picture has moved people around the world and is still a top reprint seller.

However, the text that now accompanies e-mailed versions of the photograph is inaccurate in suggesting that Cinnamon was "thanking" firefighter Clark for saving her life "by carrying her out of the house into her front yard." As Clark himself explained, he didn't rescue the dog, and his encounter with her was pure happenstance:

We didn't do anything (special) to save Cinnamon. When we have a house fire, we have to do a primary search. There could be people home and inside. Our first major concern is life safety. That house was full of smoke and we couldn't see it very well. All I saw was a dog run out, and one was (already) in the backyard. I think Cinnamon got out the door herself.

The dog approached me. As soon as I knelt down and took my mask off, Patrick was coming around the corner of the house and took the picture.

Jeff Clark is still with the Charlotte Fire Department. Cinnamon eventually gave birth to five puppies and lived for several more years until she passed away in January 2005.

Still, the sentiment is a good one.

I'm pretty sure dogs do know good people (and cats that think they're dogs, Tam). My friend has a sheppard mix named Rocco - who would bark at my ex (the worst person on the planet) relentlessly and finally leave the room (still barking).

Had the same kinda thing happen to me with a different outcome. Dwelling fire early morning, good amount of fire on the first floor. I was assigned primary search of the apartment above the fire. I crawled into the kitchen after searching the rooms before it. Came face to face with dog chained to a substantial wooden member for a counter. Had a bar with me, I smashed the chain enough to be able to break it. I grabbed the dog and made my way out of the room and back down the front steps. Dog was a large Heinz, it was quiet while I carried it out. Once I got it outside the damn thing bit into my coat and wouldn't let go. I finally got it off and went about my FF business. The damn dog bit like 4 people that day. No licking at all.

Heinz, that's what my Dad used to call mutts. Haven't heard that in years. I had a Blue-tick years ago who had a great temperment. If he liked ya , he'd cuddle right up. On the other hand, if he thought that you were an arse-O, he'd corner you. His assessments took all of a second.

Any of you asbury guys remenber the chesapeake bay retreiver i used to have? He didn't like anybody, not even me much of the time but when he was around my wife or if my mom was over to visit nobody could get near them.The only time he seemed truely calm was when i had him down at the river swimming and chasing the dummy when i threw it out for him to retreive. God i miss that dog!!!

Throw it again boss!!

P4250052.JPG

He loved kicking the sh*t out of that tire, he'd grab it and just keep shaking it

P4250054.JPG

I had the priviledge of spending a few years with a beautiful Bassett named Zoe. One of the first times that I ever walked her down the street a jeep with four girls pulled up and they all fawned over her. (Top down, bathing suit tops, short-short-shorts) She picked the cutest one and climbed into her lap. From that day forth, I never went anywhere without her! biggrin.gif