Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Plains Drifter

Let's talk about long casting plugs

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Let's talk about far casting plugs. We've already talked about long range skipping surface lures and metals. I don't have a room full of surf casting plugs like a lot of you guys do. So, I picked my three longest casting plugs and tried to draw some generalities. Remember, highly skilled casters can bring out the best in any lure. I tried to pick out my most forgiving and consistently far casting lures.

This is my longest casting and favorite plug. It's a Super Strike Little Neck Popper. It's a 2-½ ounce sinker but it comes to the surface very easily.

plugsuper.jpg

Part of its secret is that it has a very lightweight plastic body, which allows a heavier interior lead weight per the total weight of the plug. The more percentage the lead makes up of the total weight, the more it affects the lure. The lead butt weights the lure (the rubber band marks the balance point) but it also SIDE weights the lure because it is placed at the lures widest point and against the plug wall. The butt weighting makes the lure fly dart like into the direction of travel and the side weighting does a very good job of preventing mid air lure spin. The butt end of the plug is pointed and the whole plug is symmetrical in cross section. Notice that the front treble hook actually nests into the recess of the neck, the narrowest part. I removed the rear treble and replaced it with a single. If you don't believe the air drag from a treble hook is much listen to this. I picked up @ 15 YARDS of distance by doing this!!!

Lessons here? Light bodies allow heavier interior lead weights. Butt weighting helps the lure point into the direction of travel. Side weighting to prevent spin is an asset to distance. Pointed ends and symmetry aid aerodynamics. Treble hooks really DO dramatically reduce distance.

Here is an Al Gags Bluefish Bomb. It's also about 2 ½ ounces and it's built like a brick ##it house.

plugbomb.jpg

Its interior weighting is a lead weight that slides on a rod to the rear of the plug when cast. It's very rear weighted and points into the direction of travel very well. The Bluefish Bomb is not side weighted. Instead, it utilizes a freely rotating hook and absolute cross-sectional symmetry to address the negative effects of midair spin. Notice however that the large treble hook rest against the widest point of the plug and exposes it greatly to the air stream. Also the end is not pointed. It is wide and hollow reducing aerodynamics. Because of this, replacing the treble with a single has little benefit. It's a great casting plug but falls about 10 yards short of the tweaked out Little Neck . But because it is more butt weighted than the Little Neck it is more forgiving of casting flaws and more consistent in flight.

Here is Al Gags Squid-zee. I think it is similar to a sinking needlefish plug.

plugsquid.jpg

Notice that it is extremely butt weighted which makes it the most forgiving and consistent plug out of the three. It is also side weighted and symmetrical in cross section. I cannot make it fly crooked or wobble in flight. It has a rounded and narrow butt end. It has a single hook and when I replaced the split ring with one of larger diameter it folds tightly to the lure body. Air pressure causes the flexible rubber legs to press against the body. It's almost impossible to make a poor cast with this plug.

So now that I have stuck my neck out about long casting plugs, please chime in!!

Funny thing about the Super Strikes, The three ounce popper doesn't cast as far as the 2 3/8. The 2 3/8 ouncer is my favorite springtime teaser launcher. It swims well under the surface on a slow retrieve, so you can work it down to 5 or 6 feet deep. Other long distance plugs I like include

1. 3-4 ounce pencil poppers

2. 2-3 ounce Gibbs Bottle swimmers

3. Big needles

4 . Lets don't forget the old Atom Reverse with the holes in the back ( Somebody ho'd my last one)

5. Big dannys ( If you happen to have a hurricane force tailwind LOL)

you said you got 10 yards further with the SS . do you have a coparison with the squid-zee ?

On an average, the squid-zee matched the Little Neck. But occassionally when everything was right with my cast and the moon and the planets all lined up, the Little Neck would out do itself and nothing could touch it. I think an expert caster might get this consistantly with the Little Neck but us average Joes need to be content with averages.

That 2 3/8 oz super strike is a missle, that plug in yellow white is a favotire of mine in spots where i need a long cast. Habs new night n gale needle is a missle also, altho i got mine late in the season. A canal special gibbs pencil is also a real distance plug, when i wanna cover alot of water in June, thats my plug, and bass nail those things!

That surface tension plug casts great also, if i run into a school of bluefish i throw that thing when i dont want them chewing up the wood. You can skip that thing really fast across the surface and it drives the blues crazy!!! icon14.gif

HPD,

Do you see any advantage to removing the little neck belly hook altogether? It might give even a little more distance with just a single tail hook? Regarding 2 hooks on a plug vs a single, do Jack Crevally hit a surface plug the same way a Rooster Fish does? If for no other reason a single hook plug might be a little safer to remove from a thrashing fish, we wouldnt want to be in the boonies of Mexico looking for a bottle of Tequilla to use during hook from flesh removal. biggrin.gif

Jim

PS Dont ask me how I know

HPD,

Do you see any advantage to removing the little neck belly hook altogether? It might give even a little more distance with just a single tail hook? Regarding 2 hooks on a plug vs a single, do Jack Crevally hit a surface plug the same way a Rooster Fish does? If for no other reason a single hook plug might be a little safer to remove from a thrashing fish, we wouldnt want to be in the boonies of Mexico looking for a bottle of Tequilla to use during hook from flesh removal. biggrin.gif

Jim

PS Dont ask me how I know

Jim,

I am asking myself the same things. I did try removing the front treble on the SS but it didn't add distance. I think it tucks out of the air slip stream well.

Good fishermen always let the fish dictate to them rather than the other way around. If the fish are thick and frequent I'll remove or replace trebles. If they are few and far between the hooks stay on and I send Tiep swimming after them with a gaff between his teeth! - HPD

PS - I'm bringing a mini-bolt cutter and tequilla in case history repeats itself for you! I'll drink the tequilla and then run to your rescue!

If you're going to the middle of nowhere, definitely bring Manley or Sargent cutting pliers and a couple of single edge razors. A deep hook close to the bone can't be pushed thru. eek.gif Don't ask me how I know crying.gif

I told you about it, I was hangin a Pencil from the joist in my basement and sneezed. It's amazing how hard it is to remove a 5/0 VMC treble when it is all the way to the middle of the bend in your pinky cwm31.gifmoon.gif

The super strike popper can be launched to the moon!

I used that plug on MV in June and I casted that thing so far out that I could not see the lure land and it was a bright sunny day.

I was also cating that same plug more than half way across the canal standing right next to one of the bridges....I was shocked how far that I could launch the thing.

For both I was using a 1322 with a 704Z that is not supposed to be a long distance caster....YIKES!!

The 3oz plug does not seem to get the same distance as the 2 3/8 plug.

The SS plugs are very nice!

Funny thing about the Super Strikes, The three ounce popper doesn't cast as far as the 2 3/8.

i disagree. with a stout stick and braided line (spinner), i can heave the 3 oz. further. Same with a conventional shooting mono.