Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hydrant Head

Hello To All

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

After viewing this forum for over a year I finally got up the courage to register. I made my first set of plugs late last month (poppers and metal lips) and wouldn't have been able to without all of your great posts! Thank you one and all. I hope to figure out how to post some photos in the near future. One question, are the Jet and Delta Lathes the best lathes to purchace?

Jet and Delta are among the most popular. For cutting plugs, there aren't many machines that I would consider "bad". The only thing I'd say is, if you want to add a machine to your shop that has versatility beyond small items, I would look at full sized models, which both Jet and Delta offer along with the midi & mini's.

Welcome to the madness of pluggage. My condolences to your significant other. My wife is once again refering to me as "The Mole".

A popper with a lip, eh? This I'd like to see! Hope you figure out the pic posting thing!

Welcome!! HappyWave.gif

Hydrant Head, welcome. As for lathes, these guys know a lot more than i do, but take a look at the Penn State Industries lathe, the Turner Craft Pro (or something similar to that). I've read somewhere else that it's an identical lathe to the Jet, and may actually come off of the same assembly line. I've seen both close up, and i can't tell the difference other than the color. The PSI lathe is about half the cost of the Jet, and goes for about $155.

Another option if you want something for a lower cost is the Grizzly 8690 that a bunch of guys on here have used. I think that comes in at under $100. I personally bought a Franklin Foundry lathe, which is from Harbor Freight. I got it off of a guy for $25, since he bought it in 1990 or so, and never used it. For plugs, it's working great. Just do yourself a favor and get good cutting tools.