Through hole wiring end loop techniques

Rate this topic

keeperreaper

I make the front loop by wrapping the wire around a phillips screwdriver and take linemans pliers to it to get a tight squeeze where the 2 ends come around the back of the loop. I takes practice and some tweaking.

The rear loop is easier, basicaly I just bend the wire and start a loop with pliers(most guys use roundnose pliers) and while pulling tightly by hand on the excess wire I wrap it real tight a couple times and then cut off the excess.

plugwire.gif

I handle the tail loop like slipknot, but I wire my plugs differently. I use .051 316L stainless steel wire, strong enough to do the job, but easier to work. I first make my nose loop and thread both ends through a stainless washer. Then I double the short end back against the washer to lock the loop on one side. I have drilled the plug from top to bottom, which allows me to drive the wire down and create a loop for the front hook. I drive a dowel in afterwards to fill the hole and lock the other side of the loop. I make the tail loop last. Any weights required need to be inserted before the wire is bent downwards in the middle.

[This message has been edited by Rich L (edited 12-19-2002).]

After threading wire through swivel and tail eyelet/washer, I push on the front loop against a table edge while bending tail wire down 45 deg.

chum_tail_loop1.jpg

chum_tail_loop2.jpg

With roundnose pliers I wrap wire up and around one jaw.

chum_tail_loop3.jpg

I put the very edge of the tail loop in a vise protected with aluminum angle to prevent scoring/weakening the loop.

chum_tail_loop4.jpg

Attatch vise grips to end of wire and while pulling on plug body, I wrap around the exit point close to plug tail until tight.

chum_tail_loop5.jpg

I finish by cutting excess and sand any sharp edge with Foredom cut-off disk.

[This message has been edited by chumbucket (edited 12-19-2002).]

Hey Yo...

Bassholl, Great to see those pics again, I knew I learned that 45 degree bend here somewhere(a key step to nice loops).

BA, I burned out my Dremel years agoicon15.gif

Every time I destroy a tool I replace it with one that will take a Chumming and keep on runningwink.gif [ I'm waiting for power tools made by Van Staal in "steal-me gold" icon25.gif ]

Hey Yo...

• 3 years later...
Lu's looper generation #2 wink.gif .

oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!clapping.gif

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan