Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caranx

loosing a custom lure

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ok, I've been around here for a while, actually I always have a look at what you guys do with a piece of wood and every time I get amazed, the vast majority of the lures are absolutely awesome. Now my question is, do you use'm ? And if the answer is yes (as I guess), how does it feel when one is lost ? Or maybe, if we want to put some spice in it, what's your reaction to the loss ?

I think I would cry.....

Ciao

Caranx smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Caranx, I get very attatched to some of my favorite plugs. But if you fish them as they are intended to do, then sooner or later your going to make a donation. I have lost several very favorite plugs over the years & I get very "bummed out" each time it happens, but its all part of fishing. I have some plugs that I've used on a continual basis for over 8 years & others I have snapped off on their first cast.... never to be seen again. If a fish takes the plug & breaks you off or you get snagged on something there's not a whole lot you can do about it. When I snap off a plug on a cast, if the conditions are safe... I go for a swim and retrieve it. If it's to rough to swim out and retrieve it, then I just thank it for the memories & tie on a new plug. Mike

I make mine to use.I don't put as much work into them as some of these other guys do.

long as the fish hit'em I don't care all that much what they look like.

If they don't work I send them to bASSmaster .....and he thinks I'm a nice guy.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I lost one of my favroite swimmers on saturday morning...I wasn't a happy camper as I watched the tide pull it away from me. But, you just go home and make another.

Charlie

I lost the first plug I ever made earlier this year on a lousy cast. Did you ever notice they seem to sail forever with no line attached. I wish I could cast that way all the time. It was kind of sad watching it float down to the east end and hopefully out to sea. It may sound selfish, but I did hope to myself that it just floated away and no one found it in the rocks. ...mrpogie

to be honest,i've never grown to attached to any of my plugs.i don't mind losing them to a fish as much as losing them do to break offs,or from casting them into places they don't belong.but the best looking ones are full of battle scars.they read like an open book of memories.yeah,i think this gash came from that big toothy critter.or this scar came from that bass diving into the rocks.but for the most part it doesn't really bother me.i'll just make three more to replace itsmile.gif

guzz

Bassmaster doesn't know anything about losing custom lures, and I don't think he knows how to swim wink.gif

Carnax, BM ain't saying and I just now realize what he meant by Got black bucktail?

MrPogie, Same thing happened to me! My first creation went sailing towards England, and I was so close to swimming in after it, but it was mid November. Since it was a field test before I painted it, it wasn't as bad as loosing a completed plug, but it still was tuff to stomach. I felt the same way you did, I hoped no one would find it. Kinda silly now that I think of it, since looking back it wasn't one of my better creations. LOL! My fishing Buddy is pretty good at retrieving his snapped off plugs by using a popper to snag them on the surface. I'm always amazed when he gets it in 2 casts.

Lost 2 of my homemades this past weekend. One I threw off and the other a bluefish took it when it bit throught the leader. Both caught many fish so it kinda ticked me off. I lost at least 10 homemades the past 3 years. Some I wish I kept the pattern, some just didn't care. Better to lose it to a fish than throwing it off though.

Mine was't one of my better creations either, but it was the first one. I have lost others and gave away others and it does't bother me. The ones I gave away actually felt good. It's kinda like how a fly tyer feels about fooling a fish on a fly he tied. That plug gave me that feeling the first time a fish blew up on it. ...mrpogie

OH I go onyo my I lost a wooden plug chant,bummin out, and wining in slips ear cast to it. It was a sweet yellow plug it popped like no othercrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

i hate lossin wood, when I lose the lure guzz made for me, tou will hear me way over therewink.gif

------------------

I live in the State of Kaos, Im a convicted plug felon. Got Plug?