Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHunter

Through Wire

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

How do you guys close off the tail hook loop thingy?? I tried and it came out crappy, so I made due with it and epoxy it to help out. But I have another lure that I painted very well, and I'd like the back loop to look great too? How do I close it properly and neatly?? Thanks.

How do you grip the lure. Can you give me any more tips or info on what to do prodedure wise? I am very ignorant in this field. Do I have to soften the wire with heat?! Just bend it?

First off make sure you leave about 4 inches of wire sticking out the end of the plug. If it is to short the wire is hard to bend as you can't get any leverage on it,

Hold the lure in your left hand. Take a philips head screw driver in your right hand . Place the screwdriver at the base of the plug..Using your left thumb bend the wire down about 90 degrees. Now press the wire against the screwdriver with your right thumb.Let go of the lure with your left hand. It shouldn't fall cause your right thumb is holding the wire against the screwdriver. Use your left hand to wrap the wire around the screwdriver one time. Still keeping the screwdriver in place switch the screwdriver to your left hand.

Now use a pair of pliers to take hold of the tag end of the wire and wrap it around the base of the plug.Actually around the base of the plug where the wire is.Wrap it two times.You can now either use a either a cutting plier to cut the wire or twist the wire off.

Pull the plier out and you should have a nice neat loop.

Never heat the wire.You will only weaken it as heating will draw the temper out of the metal.

I usually use a drill bit attached to the drill press instead of a screwdriver. One less hand needed in making the loop.

Steve, What does that thing look like?

------------------

100% Freshly Squeezed Fish Junkie

I just put a nail at the edge of a piece of wood that is in a vice...that way I have plenty of room to turn the wire arounds itself. There was a thread about it earlier and Phil L had a good post sbout how he does it. I will look for it a little later when I have a few minutes.

Here it is... http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...-1-000986.html

Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie M (edited 07-25-2001).]

i have never done a through wired plug.but i think it's coming very soon.i have,in theory anyway,came up with two different ways to wire a plug with out the need to drill right through the center of it.i haven't tried either one yet,so i'm not sure it'll work.but the next batch of plugs i do,probably the end of this week,i'm going to give it a shot.if all goes well,i'll pass it on to every here.the nice thing,if it works that is,it will eliminate the need for a long drill bit,or drill press.i'm not saying that it'll be less work.i think it will just be easier in the long run,and you'll have less plugs scrap out due to off centerd drilling.i'm going to try it out on some needles.

guzz

quote: from Phil L 4-24-2000

"By the way the wire you want to used is either 304 Stainless semi annealed soft temper(diameter around .062) or 14 gauge Brass semi annealed soft temper. You can get either from Jim Brown up Mass(Plug Builders Supply)." While reading the archive on wire through plugs I came across this. Does anyone have any info on this person or company? Web address or phone number?

They have a catalog that you can get from:

Plug Builders Supply and Tackle Co.

87 Cottage Dr.

Holliston, MA 01746

(508) 429-6561

They have no web site last time I checked.

[This message has been edited by gonefishing (edited 07-26-2001).]

On 7/24/2001 at 9:35 PM, Wishing I was Fishing said:

First off make sure you leave about 4 inches of wire sticking out the end of the plug. If it is to short the wire is hard to bend as you can't get any leverage on it,

Hold the lure in your left hand. Take a philips head screw driver in your right hand . Place the screwdriver at the base of the plug..Using your left thumb bend the wire down about 90 degrees. Now press the wire against the screwdriver with your right thumb.Let go of the lure with your left hand. It shouldn't fall cause your right thumb is holding the wire against the screwdriver. Use your left hand to wrap the wire around the screwdriver one time. Still keeping the screwdriver in place switch the screwdriver to your left hand.

Now use a pair of pliers to take hold of the tag end of the wire and wrap it around the base of the plug.Actually around the base of the plug where the wire is.Wrap it two times.You can now either use a either a cutting plier to cut the wire or twist the wire off.

Pull the plier out and you should have a nice neat loop.

Never heat the wire.You will only weaken it as heating will draw the temper out of the metal.

Nice description, is there any photos you have since taken to accommodate this?