Need some information!

Rate this topic

DonW

Hey Guys,

I need to find out some information on the reel that is pictured below. It belongs to a friend of mine, but we don't know anything about it. It has no name brand on it anywhere, the only markings that I could find is the horseshoe with a fish in the middle along with the word trademark at the top and the words "Ball Bearings" on the bottom. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines,

DonW

Marcs_reel.jpg

PS- Thank You TimS for your help!!

Gurls are trouble cuz of their anatomy.
The key to happiness is 'puters and fish.
Just 'puters and fish. - BillyBob

Don,

That's a well preserved sidewinder reel. Can't tell if it's a wooden or bakelite (plastic) spool. The reel probably dates back to the 1940's and possibly earlier. Prefessa will possibly be able to give you more info.

Al

P.S. I took a closer look and it looks like it's made out of wood with brass fittings. It appears to be in good shape and may have some value to a collector.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 02-09-2001).]

Hey Al,

Thank you for your reply. That is more information that I had before. It is indeed wood and in very good shape. I failed to give a good description when I first posted, I apologize for that. Please if anyone out there has a clue on who manufactured this reel, or any info about it I would greatly appreciate it.

Tight Lines,

DonW

Gurls are trouble cuz of their anatomy.
The key to happiness is 'puters and fish.
Just 'puters and fish. - BillyBob

That's a real old Hardy.A Hercules.It's a rare reel indeed.This one is quite possibly the nicest condition one known to exist in this size(2 5/8").Hard to say.I've never seen one nicer but most of them are in england.It's in the 1000.00 range give or take a few hundred.It has both logos on it which is even rarer.made from 1880 to 1904.This particular one has an extremely nice patina to it.Collectors go ga-ga over patina.It's a sure sign that the reel has not been changed or altered in any way as patina cannot be duplicated except by waiting another 100 years or so.If it had been polished it's worth about 300.00.

It's not something you run into very often.

Guys... the reels you have shown are outstanding especially the one you showed 10 X 10.

I don't have the capability to display pictures of the two reels I have but I can share this. Both look similar to the style of DonW's. The wood appears to be mahogany and with brass hardware on both reels. Both are in really good shape. One is a Fisher and measures 5" while the other is a Cozzone made in Newark, N.J. and measures 6".