Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Will a tarpon's gill plates cut you?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

This is from George Pope, and answers your question nicely:

"I think you'll have to use strong Sevalon or similar wire for the bite leader to keep it from getting cut by the gill plates. I've used 130lb MONO and had it sliced clean thru on just one jump.

When these fish jump, they can get your lead swingin' all over the place and it will usually wind up pulling the bite leader down by the head where it's vulnerable to being cut clean through..."

SS

I have handled a few tarpon up to 110# and the Capt. has never said, "watch out for those gills." Catch a 15" snook, and that's the first thing they will say.

I have caught many tarpon as I live in texas and they are quite plentiful. Their gill plates can cut line but I have yet to have one cut me(My hands are always jacked up from catching so many fish to begin with). If I dont have a gaff on me, I usually just slide my hands into the gills when landing them. Could they cut you, possibly but I dont usually pic up a large tarpon when they are green! A big tarpon will kick your butt if you give him a lift a little too early!