Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Fishing Hurricane Swells

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The NOAA forecast calls for rising swells the next few days as Charlie pushes towards Florida. Anyone have any particular thoughts on them? They complicate beach access, NYS Parks being quick to close beaches, and they'll weed up the water. I know I'll want a substantial plug for max distance, just to avoid flirting with disaster in the undertow, and that the near-shore substructure will get moved around. Anyone else have any good thoughts? .. for me, Long Island Sound is probably easier then anything else.

Still, the drama of that big surf is appealing.

Brian... just one thought...

don't take your eyes off the water. ever. not even for a second.

oh yea, and distance isn't always the key. a lot of times when the tide is really high here (swells are almost always large) it will draw the fish in close, too... the water is washing up a bunch of stuff that is usually not accessible in the water. also, the dirty wash is good cover. don't be a typical guy and think big. you may just cast over the fish.

ya know, if the thought of fishing big swells all the time is appealing, move to CA. tongue.gif

Brian, I think you mean Hurricane Frances wink.gif . Anyways I was also thinking of the North Shore or protected south shore areas when the swell starts showing.

It depends though, in the beginning there may be significant lulls between the sets and the swell might not be that large, the beginning may also put the feed bag on as the fish might be thinking a storm is coming. But when the big swells hit a sweep will likely develop etc and fishing may get tough.

Big plugs like bottles and the big pencils and heavy tins and bucktails up to 3 oz will probably be required.

I'm fishing tonight because it may be the last calm night on the south shore in a while.

To work the wash. Aaaahh ... nice thought. The surf will churn up every bit of junk available, weed, plastic, Jimmy Hoffa and so on. Mike, what plug would you suggest? I'm thinking a SS floating Little Neck, possibly a pencil, a floating needle. TLDig, if I lived in California I'd spend too much time looking for seesaws where you might be practising. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif Never get any fishing done.

True. Bass, if around at all, are more likely at your feet then at the end of a hero cast. Bluefish are far more likely to be twenty feet beyond the end of it. Little tunny? They went thataway. Robert Moses' ocean beach shows a fearsome current sweep during heavy swell conditions, though, so I do believe I will fish elsewhere.

New structure!

Think short casts..AFTER the swell, like RIGHT AFTER!

If winds turn any quarter north, and the swells are clean faced BIG SWIMMERS.

Choppy rippled faced swells with any South quartering, sinking needles.

I am talking dusk to dawn too btw..

I usually take the boat out on one of the bars by the inlet with a nice swell. It roils up the bottom and breaks up lots of clams. The bass seem to congregate there. With little or no wind, but a big heave on, you can have great bassing on the South Shore. I have not found it to be too weedy usually. That is reserved for the South winds.

Boat? BOAT??? I ain't got no steenkeen' boat. If the Lord meant man to travel on water, we'd all have fiberglas pontoon feet. cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif

Mike, yes, I did have nighttime in mind. Good plug thoughts, as always with you. NOAA seems to be talkin in terms of SE and S winds for the next day or three, though that could always change. Good time to swim the needles, if I find a clean corner. If we DO hear of a good N or NE wind, I'll go visit Shagwong. (May always wimp out and go toss flies around Mt Sinai). Thank you.