Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bunkerhead

Block Island

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Is the island as busy and crowded as the Vinyard and Cape Cod in the summer? Also how does the surf fishing hold up throughout the summer fishing? Any help with good fishing spots or places to stay is apptreciated! Thanks

Bunkerhead

Bunkerhead,

BI is not nearly as crowded as the Vineyard and the Cape which makes it such an ideal place to vacation. As far as the fishing goes, I have done well in June but last year my best fish of the year came in August. One of the best weeks last year was the 4th of July. I am not an expert on fishing there but usually July and August are slow months from shore. If you put in the time, you can do fairly well.

Some of the better know places to fish are Dories Cove, Black Rock, the Dump, and the Southeast Lighthouse. I would do a seach on this board for more information on fishing spots and places to stay. My girlfriend's mom has a place there so I have never stayed in one of the inns. If you are only there to fish then I would recommend Twin Maples.

Thanks for the info Steve. What is the surf fishing like on the island anyway? Mostly sandy beaches like Jersey or is it rocks and jetties? Do you fish live bait, dead stick, or plug. Also, I imagine that in august your big fish was caught at night? How big was it? Thanks again!

Bunkerhead

Bunkerhead,

The island is extremely rocky except for the most northern part of the island. I would definitely recommend korkers and heavy duty gear. It is not the place for an 8'rod and 12# test line.

I mainly plug but last year I tried eels and I caught my biggest fish of the year there. It was close to 30 lbs and I caught at about 2:00 am. It was at the beginning of a thunderstorm which meant that I had to run for cover.

If you do not bring your own eels then you can usually buy them at Twin Maples which is one of the two tackle shops on the island. The shops have very little selection which means that you should bring whatever you think that you will need.

Check out this url: http://www.blockislandtimes.com/