Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan From NJ

St Croix Rod Poll

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Wow maybe I am just unlucky. However I did talk to a tackle shop owner in the area and he mentioned they will be good for a while then is seems he will see a run a bad ones then good for a while. My impression from different posts was alot of other people had similar experience as me. It seems once a month someone posts a message on SOL asking for warrantee info for St croix and I rarely see the questions about other types of polls. Every time the St Croix warrantee question is asked there is a bunch of responses from people with broken st croix experiences. Maybe they ship with a lower defect rate then I thought. THanks for all the responses.

I have the SS80M and SS86M. I use the SS80M as my main plugger and hardly ever use the SS86M. On the SS80M I've had a broken tip and a cracked Guide. Other than that, knock on wood, no problems.

-------------------------------

Berkeley Striper Club - Seaside Park, NJ

I've got about three of their fly rods, two Imperials, one Legend Ultra 4 piece, three or four spinning rods and about 4 casting rods. No problem. I love them and the guys I fish with think it is hard to find a better rod for the price. However, if you aren't happy with yours and have no faith in the rod, dump it and get something else or you will never ve happy. I've gone that route many times. Good luck!!biggrin.gif

I have the 8' Tidemaster. Well, it was 8', until I broke off the top 6". The break was not the rod's fault though; it was my carelessness.

I believe the rod is a pretty good value. It's tip heavy and thus kind of hard to balance, but I think the Tidemasters have better components than the Ben Doerrs, for the same dough. I'd recommend it.

I've got an 8'6" Wild River that is my everyday surf plugging, etc, rod and I wouldn't trade it for ANY rod. I've caught fish up to 20 lbs. on it. My brother-in law had a 6' freshwater rod that snapped at the joint and the company sent him a new one - no questions asked. All my freshwater rods (5 of them) are St. Croix and I've never had a problem. I can'tpeak for anyone else but I will always look at St. Croix first if I buy another rod (which I surely will!)

I have a 10' Ben Doerr that I've had since x-mas. After 2 or 3 trips, I noticed a hairline crack on a guide. I called St.Croix and they told me to ship it to them. Normally I would'nt have a problem with that but I couldn't separate the rod!

A supervisor called a local b&t who had the rod in stock and I was able to do a swap. I thought they handled the situation nicely. biggrin.gif

I have a pretty big selection of St. Croix rods and fish them hard also. I must admit a ring has popped ounce but considering how many i have and thats all i have to say, Ill take those odds any day. I can't say enough about how they perform. The guys that are having continued problems may want to make sure they are selecting the right rod for the right job. St. Croix has so many different rod it can be confusingconfused.gif,If your throwing plugs up to 2 ounces make sure you purchase a rod rated for that or better. I know with other rods I've had, i may have fell on a jetty with the rod in hand, forgot about it, only to have it break 2 weeks later. Anyone running their boats with the rods in the gunwhale storage, that can also weeken the blank if you pound.

heart.gif St. Croix Rods

------------------

<{{{SRFtactics><

Dan, here's my list of broken rods replaced by st croix:

-a legend 6'6" broken 4 times over five years, replaced without question, but on the last time they sent a premier becasue I didn't want to pay the extra for an avid

-an imperial 5wt repaced twice

a 7'premier replaced once, had it over the 2yr and broke it again, they offered to replace it at cost (they probably would have replaced it for free, but I later found the dealer I sent the rod through was on the verge of dropping the line at the time)

I have the premier, once the legend, in the mail right now. jeez, I'm tough on rods. st croix has always been great about replacing them.

as for rods that have lasted, I have a 6'6" MH premier that has been through 30 pound stripers galore and even went with me to key west, but, not to be beaten by my buddies 7' medium premier, he's had the rod for 7 years now, and has probably caught far too many big fish on that rod to even speculate at. in fact, the rod's action is a lot slower that it was when it was new, the thing's been abused more than any other rod I've seen.

you're probably onto something about the QC thing, but have you hear of a company named Quarrow? they make st croix blanks, and a few other big names, often the name you are getting his just about it, the matierials may have been assembled from a completely different outfit, and I'm by no means an expert on this.

ask my lil brother plug wease...i mean bassmaster about snapping rods,we made a lamistien from two snapped rods one night,bottom half from a sb1364m and the top from another snapped lami into a 2 piecer,its ok for jigs an poppers etc,he seems good at snapping rods like that.me on the other hand i never snap a rod altho my old shakespeare fly rod snapped a tip on a cast last year,it was 22-23? years old anyhow........

[This message has been edited by grampa old spook (edited 07-13-2001).]

How important is it to send in the Warrantee Card when you buy the pole? If mine breaks that I bought last year, am I screwed because I didn't mail in the warantee card? Just wondering.....

I have had a St. Croix for two years, and have not had any problems other than the main guide falling out, but I fixed that myself. I, too failed to mail in the warranty card, but I don't even remember seeing one when I recieved the St. Croix. I believe I ordered it through Bass Pro Shops.

I've had 4 7' Surf Systems for many years one of which broke for no apparent reason..it is stillin my shed, I should send it back and see what they will do. I also have 2 7' Tidewaters and another 7' spin. No trouble in fact I think St Croix is the best bargain in salt water fishing.