Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan From NJ

St Croix Rod Poll

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

It seems like there are a hell of alot of St croix warrantee return questions. Is there anyone who owns a St Croix and had never had a st croix break on them. I am curous. The problem is they are really nice performance but I am getting the impression dependability is terrible.

Me I got one St. That one broke. Warrantee return then that one broke. I have alot of different polls and in a decade of fishing hard i have never broken a blank other then the st croix. And I got some real cheepos over the years. I have a medium action boat poll I paid $8.00 for brand new and I don't wory about it breaking as much as I do the st croix. I have a lami that I love and I have to admit its a little heavier action then the st croix and therefore does not have the fine feel and lightness like the st croix but it feels indestructable and I rarely hear about lami returns. St croix retuns are to the point where if they went out of business the PVC companys would see a noticibe decline in sales.

I'm curious to see some response if other people are having the same experience. To their credit they honor their warrantees but it seems they could do a much better job of quality control. Please post here your experience with st. Croix. I am wondering if there is anyone who has a st croix and never broke one.

I have two that have several years on them. One is a cheap fly rod, 9x9, do not know how durable it is, as I am the worst fly fisherman in the world and could not catch a cold, the rod has been banged around a fair amount though and still seems solid. It may be the best or worst caster out there and I would have no idea. I also have a muskie stick that I have fished hard for 4 seasons and it is great, lots of good fish and plenty of abuse and no problems. It is not as nice as any of the customs I have, but it does have decent sized guides, which is important to me, and has been very durable. It is the rod I bring when I know things are going to get knocked around. If it broke today I would not be happy, but it certainly not owe me anything either.

Angryeel.

I've got a 8'6" Wild River which works great and just bought myself a new 7' 3 piece Tidemaster which looks pretty solid but I'll tell you how it really works in 3 weeks. It is a feeling and surely is not accurate but they look pretty tough to me.

Ciao

Caranx

Dan, I guess you just read my recent post on my current St. Croix problem. My problem is a guide and not a break in the rod. However, I am very leary about attempting any heavy lifting, casting huge plugs, etc. when using it. For the money I paid, I expected to have a more secure feeling of performance. It does have a nice feel though. I'll let you know how I make out with my PVC return to them.

I have three st. croix rods.

I broke the two guides on the 8 1/2 BD spinning rod last year. Totally my fault, no defects. I just had them repaired locally - thanks linesider smile.gif.

The other rods no problems.

I don't expect a rod to last forever. If I break it I will have it fixed, I don't expect the manufacturer to do anything.

I have no problem with st. croix rods..

I have two... both 2-pc 7 footers... one custom MedHvy (muskie blank) and the other a Medium Premier series. Use both for light jigging and bucktails. No problems with either.

Don't blame St Croix entirely for the guide problems, Pac Bay guides are a big part of the reason. St Croix's blame lies in choosing them instead of Fujis just to save a few cents a guide. They use Fujis on the Tidemaster rods, but Pacs on the more expensive Ben Doerr models.

Every rod I had---every single one---with Pac Bay guides suffered a ring pop-out within three years. Except for the 70 mm gathering guide for a big spinning rod, their guides are the pits in my experience.

I have the 8 1/2 BD spinning, and I absolutly love that pole. I haven't had any thing go wrong yet, and I hope to have it a long time. This pole allows me to cast right where I want, and has increased my ability to reach the breaking fish. So far so good... smile.gif

I've got the SS-86M & the SS-100M (Ben Doerr series, 2 piece, 8'6" and 10') Neither has ever broken in 4 years of fishing hard. I must add that when the 10' rod was new, I cast at some bunker from a pier and the line was wrapped around the tip-top. CRACK! The line snapped, and the front half of my rod went into orbit. St. Croix replaced it for free. Their customer service is somewhere between Shakespeare (5 year unconditional guarantee on Ugly Sticks) and Orvis (25 year unconditional guarantee on rods). Great product, great company. BTW...not necessary to use a PVC tube for shipping, it's too heavy. Go to any carpet store and they will have cardboard tubes from the center of a carpet roll that they will only throw out. They are glad to give them to you. Crumple up a newspaper and stuff it in each end, then seal with masking tape. Works for me!

(By the way, the head of St.Croix customer service is MARCELLA WEIMER, you could do far worse than to personalize a letter to her with your return, or to ask for her on the phone. Tell her I send a kiss for treatment I'm not likely to ever forget.)

------------------

I own two. One 7 wt ultra fly rod the other a 7' foot one piece spining rod. They are fished heavily on a seasonal time of year. So I say @ 50 trips (two seasons) on the 7 wt fly rod and about 250 or so trips (@ three seasons) for the 7' foot spinning rod. Both rods have not given me any problems from the surf. I am very forchanate to live only one block away from the water so I can manage a 200 trip to the surf/year even if it's only for an hour or so. I also own a lami an I understand your "feeling" it a bit stiffer but for now the two St. Croix I use have been very good to me. Can't really complain.

I bought a 9' 2 piece St. Croix plugging rod in 1992. It gets some fairly hard use, and after 8 years of use, I've never had any problems. The only thing I've done is replace the tip guide. Other than that, its been flawless.

I own a SS80M, SS86MC, SS106MHC, a 10' conventional Graphlite (great rod, unfortunately it's discontinued) and a 10 wt Legend Ultra. I have not had any issues, and the 8' and 8'6" used to see a lot of action. I guess that I got lucky.

I've had fly and spin. The fly is good all around and a great value.

The 8' spin was a fine blank. The components and workmanship left something to be desired.

4 Pac-Bay guides? What did they save, $10 vs. using 5 Fuji Hardloys? I doubt if it was 10.

I have a sc106mh BD conv . Ive had it for 1 yr and havent had any problems or complaints YET . never had to get ahold of them either someday I will . just hope it isnt too soon .