Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golden

Cape Cod Albies & Bonito

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i was wondering if anyone has any info on surfcasting spots on the Cape, other than the Waquiot inlet/jetty. i used to fish there before the maddening crowds, along with the Cotuit inlet; but i'm unsure about other shorebound spots in the area. if anyone can help out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Golden,

I fish mostly the back beaches and have not heard of bonito & albies being caught out there. Doesn't mean they don't but it's not my target species..yet anyway wink.gif

I have , however, heard that if you fish the south beaches ( South Cape, Falmouth etc) they hang around down there. I did have one albie in the "Ditch" 2 years ago and have heard they do really well there as well. This year, people said off Scussett jetty, the Albies were thick, but just out of casting distance. The boaters killed them!

Good luck and see ya on the beach!

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

Is it spring time yet?!?!?!

thanks Bob. i too fish the back beaches, particularly in the fall when the monsters are roaming from race point to chatham inlet.

however, i've yet to hook up with any exotics from the beach. i've been in the middle of some churning water a few times, but like i said the crowds in those areas made it frustrating. i know they get into them pretty good done around wood's hole, but i don't have any specifics. i was also wondering about the chatham to dennis area. i.ve heard they are caught in decent numbers around the flats of monomoy. anyways, thanks for checking in. see you on the beach!

if you wanted to make a dedicated effort to find albies and bonito you would have to look seriously at the Vineyard...I can't think of anyplace with more offerings, reasonably accessible, and beautiful to boot...some easy spots come to mind-one of the best is the Oak Bluffs ferry landing...the big props kick upthe bottem with such regularity, attracting bait, that the bonito hang in there as consistently as anyplace I know (although it takes a stretch to apply "consistency" to these species).

afta that Menemsha jetty-fishable by canoe or kayak, and the stretch from Mink Meadow south...

afta that the reach from Edgartown around Cape Poge...

afta that the Harborside Lounge for something wet that stays in one place long enough to be catchable..

see ya

luke

Golden- I have seen speedsters breaking at the Stage Harbor inlet. Park at Hardings Beach (2nd lot) and walk about 1 mi. left (east)to the inlet. As with any spot, first light should be best. I caught my 1st striper at this spot 20 yrs. ago, my first fly rod striper here 10 years ago and many since. It rarely gets crowded. I've also gotten bass to 20# and blues in the high teens here. An on shore breeze can bring fish to Hardings Beach, eliminating the need to walk to the cut, but it can also blow lots of eel grass in. Bass River should also hold some fish from time to time, but I don't know the area too well.

Golden I do not do a lot of Bonito and Albicore fishing,but I will share a few spots that one can get into and have some luck when the fish are in solid. The first place is Popponesett Bay. You can get to it from the Mashpee rotary.The other way is to comein from Cotuit and both ways will reguire some walking. The other place is the entrance to Waquoit Bay. Park at South Cape beach and walk to the right,until you get to the jetty. One can also get to it from the Falmouth side. During the hot months of summer Bonito and False Albicore will be in the ditch,but only for a short time frame. The best place to hit them is at the West end,near the railroad bridge and behind the ice rink up to the radar station. We do catch a few at the east end,but only for a fraction of the time they are in the ditch. One other spot that will have fish is along Old Silver Beach in Falmouth and the Falmouth Harbor area. Angler

Golden---in addition to the areas already mentioned you might also try the south facing Falmouth jettys.

You can easily traverse and check out this whole south facing area from Falmouth to South Cape Beach in one fishing expedition. Joe G