Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flukenewsty

cutting lip slots

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

if you got a lathe and a bandsaw, leave the square ends on the wood and set up a fence(a board clamped square 90 degrees on the bandsaw table, make sure bandsaw tables level too)clamp the board down so the the blade go's thru the middle of the lathe center mark, mark the body where you want to stop. good luck.

I cut the lip slot after I test float it, then reference everything else from there.

I do the same thing, it's along the same lines as finding the spine on a rod.

To cut the slot I use a neat little tool Digger showed me. Cut a lengthwise V into a perfectly square 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 4 or 5 inch length of wood. Drill a hole to snugly fit a 1 1/2 inch piece of sharpened 10 penny nail at the bottom. Mark it's location with a line on the side of the wood.

Place the nail in place but don't slide it all the way in, just put the point in. Put the plug blank in the groove with the line for the belly hole lining up with the line for the nail. Make sure the mark you made to show the top of the plug when you floated it is facing up. Press down on the blank and the nail will slide up through the hole and perfectly mark the location for the belly hole.

HookHoleMarker1.jpg

With a hand drill, drill a pilot hole on the mark made by the nail. Now replace the nail with a screw of the same width and diameter (you can just use the screw for the entire operation) push the screw all the way through the V block and screw it into the pilot hole you just drilled pulling the plug blank tightly into the V (the pilot hole will keep the wood from splitting).

Lay it on its side and cut your lip slot on the bandsaw, the block will hold it in position to cut the lip slot perfectly square to the top of the plug as you marked it when it was floating.

The rest of the milling operation, eyes, additional swivel holes, weight holes... are all indexed off the jig in the following pictures.

Simply slide the lip slot you just cut onto the piece of sheet metal attached to the front of the jig and slide the hole over the back of the plug to hold it square in the jig. The moving piece is made to fit very snug and is held in place by friction.

I posted this jig a long time ago but without search it's easier just to repost the pictures

MillingJig1_2.jpg

MILLINGJIG2_2.jpg

Sudsy that's cool. That's the pic I was talking about. Sorry Flukenewsty, for being vague in my 1st response, I tend to do more one-off kind of stuff right now. I very skilled with hand tools, so I cut my slots square by hand. I have a similar, more simple, adjustable jig for holding and drilling belly holes My general process is a little rough, but reliable, nothing as repeatable as Sudsy's jig. Someday I'll have a design I'm confident enough in,...then I'm getting jiggy for sure. -John