Lure Building safety issues

Rate this topic

Jig Man

This idea was suggested in another thread. Commons safety issues that one should be aware of when making plugs. I'll list a few. If you know of others, or have other suggestions, please add them.

Boiled linseed oil: This stuff can spontaneously combust. Read the warnings on the can carefully before using. Disposal of the rags you use to wipe down the plug with needs to be taken seriously. Couple suggestions. 1) hang the rags over a wire line like you would clothes on a line to dry. After the rags are dry, throw them in the outside can. 2) Place the used rags in a metal container with water. Cover the container.

Lead: Do not eat, drink, or smoke while using lead. Wear protective gear: gloves, goggles, respirator (make sure it is designed to be used for lead), anytime you are melting lead. Make sure only to melt lead in a well ventilated area. Wash hands immediately after handling.

Spray can paint (or any other paint with solvents): only use in a well ventilated area. Wear a respirator designed for such use.

Using a lathe: always wear a face shield while turning. Wear a respirator designed to filter out very small dust particles. Those paper ones you see at Homies don't work. Do not wear loose clothing while using the lathe.

Other wood working: make sure to wear a respirator as above.

Jigman

[ 05-10-2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]

When using a lathe, drill press, grinder, sanders, etc. tuck in loose clothing, button or roll your sleeves up and watch your long hair (for you hippies biggrin.gif ). The speed of which the event happens, when you get tangled in a power tool is startling and disaster is imminent. eek.gif

BTW, good thread!

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

Never let anyone around your Lathe who calls it "that thngs that spins wood".

Don't be in a hurry or push past what you feel safe. If your tired stay away from the equipment. If you get tired while working "Take a break" Eat and drink something or just go relax. Nothing worse than not paying attention when you been at it too long.

Table saw when ripping your lumber, Place the blade no more than an 1/8 of an inch above your stocks height. Please use a push stick when clearing wood. while ripping.

Lathe, before turning the lathe on make sure your stock clears the tool rest.

Old boy scout rule, never cut towards you or have any part of your body aligned with a moving blade.

No Drinking alchol or smoking while working. Take a smoke break and save the booze for when your done.

What do you call a carpenter with all his fingers? A Journeyman!

What do you call a carpenter with nine fingers?

Oldtimer

What do you call a carpenter with eight fingers?

Stubby

What do you call a carpenter with seven fingers?

NIB ummm Nub

What do you call a carpenter with six fingers?

Foreman

What do you call a carpenter with five fingers?

Retired!

GLOVES: I dont agree with wearing gloves while working with power tools. If the glove catches you may lose some fingers.

EXHAUST FANS: If you plan to exhaust the fumes from painting with flamable ingredients your exhaust fan should be labeled "EXPLOSION PROOF". It only takes one spark from the fan motor to ignite vapors.

LATHE: Keep the tool rest as close as possible to the work piece. Keep tools sharp, you should be making shavings, NOT sawdust.

although the course may change sometimes
rivers always reach the sea.

Fluk,point well taken.with some machinery lathes or milling machines etc. gloves may not be appropriate.as always good judgment is a must when working around all tools.i guess i should be more clear. i wasn't talking about one specific tool. power & cordless tools like belt sander, pneumatics saws, die grinders,hand drills ,etc.they may not snatch your finger off but they can hurt you.hey gloves can offer you a second chance. a second skin if you will.it can make the difference between a close call and a injury. bottom line....... be careful !

icon14.gif