Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newsjeff

Breakaway or Lami

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a new 10' conventional rod for jetty fishing. I am looking for GOOD factory rod that can throw 6nbait. Maybe 8nbait in a pinch.

The two rods I have found are the Breakaway LDFC 100H and the Lamiglas XS10MHC.

The Breakaway is made from the BGSW 1209 blank. It's rated for 3-6OZ and 20-40lbs line.

The Lami is crafted from the GSB120 1M blank, I think. It's rated a little higher than the Breakaway - 3-8oz. The line is rated from 17-40lbs.

Right now I am leaning toward the Lamiglas. I will be casting a Penn 525mag with 17lbs. Sufix line.

Does anyone have an opinion on either of these rods?

Neither rating is very accurate.

3 oz won't even put a bend in the Breakaway. It's more like a 5-10 rod

8 oz will overload the Lami. It tops out around 5 or 6.

The Lami is more versatile. It fishes 5-6 and bait or medium to heavy lures. The Breakaway is mainly for weight and bait, or real heavy bucktails.

They both handle fish very well. The Breakaway will take more abuse mainly because it's a beast of a rod. It's light in weight, but it has a pool cue action.

Try a Breakaway on for size before you buy---you may find the reel seat placement too high.

Great reply, Ditch Jigger. I am now leaning toward the Breakaway. I quick drive down to Hatteras Jack is in order. Which leads me to my next question.

Is the Breakaway rod using the 1209 blank the same quality as the Allstar blank used in customs? I thought I read somewhere that Allstar uses a cheaper quality composite blank in their factory rods.

Also, I have been wanting to wrap my own rod for a while now. This might be the opportunity I have been looking for. Thanks again.

[ 10-13-2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: newsjeff ]

Depends what you're looking for in a rod. The Breakaway has more backbone, but isn't as good with lighter plugs as the Lamiglas. The Breakaway has five guides and the Lamiglas has four (if that matters). Breakaway under-wraps their rods , Lamiglas don't. The breakaway is slightly heavier.

The Breakaway also uses real Fuji BNLG guides and throws on a SiC tip. Lamiglas uses Fuji's too, but Fuji makes them by the millions for Lamiglas, so their a little cheaper. I like the Lamiglas, but if you want the extra strength, I'd go for the Breakaway. You can't make a bad choice.

The Lamiglas is $199 and the breakaway is a buck seventy nine if the dough is a concern.

I love the lami for chunking in the spring. I use 4 to 6 oz.s. Don't forget about warranties, as the lami has a life-time warranty.

I also have a breakaway, although not the 1209. They are well made and high quality rods as well.

Matty

Zim,I think he's talkin bout convench. not spinning.I now the breakaways are built on a 1209 allstar blank never heard of a lesser quality.I have 3-1209's they can whip any striper that swims.20#ers barley bend it.so u better have a fast reel.

Check the 1208 breakway. I have one and its a great rod and will do the weight you ask quite well. the 1209 is ok, but I always though it too much rod for stripers unless your in a place like the ditch.

Well I have had the Lami for two years with no problems, While at the Cape I "borrowed" Slips Breakaway. It worked fine but when I was finished evry guide had cracked or the ceramic broke loose. Gonna cost me some Fixters redface.gif

Was it me or the rod? redface.gif

As far as quaility both are great but if I could handle the one piece I would probably own 2 of those Breakaway's. The Quailty is the same as the AllStar if not higher IMHO. You can toss 8anbait all day with that rod.

If you're gonna make the drive down to HJ's, they may have some customs built on the 1209 blank. When HJ has been at the Mass Bass show, his customs weren't much more expensive than the factory Breakaways---and you're not stuck with that fugly bumblebee color scheme biggrin.gif

Although the newest factory Breakaways that I've seen have more subdued wraps. Mostly black with just a little gold/yellow trim effects.

I think I am sold on the Breakaway.

However, I would like to get an idea of how much it would cost to wrap the Allstar 1209 blank myself.

Can anyone help me out with guides and spacing if I was to do this?

I came across a couple of archived posts on this topic. However, the posts seemed to be geared for bigger reels, like the Abu 7000. My rod would be used with a Penn 525mag.

First post:

BNLG in a 25, then go the BNLGH in 20,16,16 and 12's out finishing with a tip with a #12 ring.

Second post:

I would go with 30 , 25 , 20, 16 , 16 , 12 , 12 and a 12 tip.

Third post:

Fuji SIC HNSG guides. If SIC are too costly for you than go with the HNLG Fuji guides.

20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 plus a UST SIC tip.

Again, this would be the first time I have built a rod. So, I'm not sure if this matters, but I will be using 17lbs. Sufix line with a 60lbs. shock leader.

If I did build my own, I would like it to match it pretty close to the Breakaway. I understand the Breakaway has a longer butt length for casting, which is exactly what I am looking for.

Maybe I'll just take that drive down south and talk to Ryan White.

[ 10-14-2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: newsjeff ]

Ditch Jigger,

You sir are correct! tongue.gif

...and you're not stuck with that fugly bumblebee color scheme

That funky color scheme goes real well with a mellow yellow Nautil. biggrin.gif

I know.

I have been reading this thread and want to build another canal rod mostly for 4-5 0z jigs and skins. Been thinking of an Allstar 1208 or Rainshadow SU1208.

Ditch Jigger Is the 5-10 oz rating you mention for the 1208 or 1209??

John M. How is your 1208 with 4-5 oz jigs.

Got plenty of rods just need another one.

Thanks for the info.

CR no need to single me out.IMO the 1209 is the only rod for the ditch.its not just the weight of the jig they handle well but poppin it of the bottom with 100 yds of line out the rod doesn't fold.An if u hook a good one out there u'll be glad u had the 1209.