Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Newell drag question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have an opportunity to pick up some older NIB Newell drag washer kits for my Squidders. Are they any good or can I get better performance with more modern materials??

Smooth Drag has just introduced a new washer "Carbontex" and is supposed to be better than Penn HT100. You could never get Penns to fit other reels unless you cut them down and whatever the material was, no one else had it.

This new Carbontex is a real winner so save your money and order these from Smooth Drag.

I checked their website but they have not put them up yet. Email them and they will help you.

I have a Squidder that had leather drag washers when I got it. I put HT100's in. Because the ht100s are thicker, you cannot loosen the drag all the way(probably down to 1/4 pound). Other than that they perform beautifully.

You could never get Penns to fit other reels unless you cut them down and whatever the material was, no one else had it.

The Penn Jigmaster HT100's are an exact fit for the 200 and 300 series Newells in terms of diameter.They are a little thicker so it cuts down on the travel of the star drag.

Marc