dont eat the bait

Best Lure to imitate squid?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

A freshly jigged up squid. cwm12.gif

As far as store-bought goes, Yo-zuri makes

1) A rubber bodied one for offshore trolling (many different colors). You need to rig this up with a leader and an egg sinker (and crimp it off). I'll cast it like a plug if the squid are around. Experiment with various egg sinker weights to get it working right.

2) A hardbodied plastic plug that swims backwards. The tentacles are simulated by rubber skirts (again, I this is a trolling lure).

As far as wood goes,

1) Habs popper in pink for daytime

2) Custom wood squid plugs. Capesams and Eben make nice ones, although Eben's are a little tougher to cast. wink.gifbiggrin.gifcwm27.gif

You could also just try throwing anything white or pink (like a polaris or pencil popper).

I was fishing a beach with Bassmaster this spring where the bluefish were on squid. He makes a pissah squid pencil popper that were hammering the fish.

A Gibbs darter in 1 5/8oz or 2 1/2oz, depending on the size of the squid and how far you need to cast. They have the sillouette and action of a squid, cast a mile and will fish in a rip. A 1oz or 2oz bottle plug is also eaten very well when bass are on squid.

TimS