Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nebe

spraying epoxy

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

has anyone here tried it?? I was thinking about trying it, but for obvious reasons i think it would be a horrendous mess cwm31.gif

If I remember correctly you thin the epoxy with acetone to get the right consistancy to spray.. is that right?

Never tried it, Eben... it's the clean up after spraying that has me worried. cwm31.gif Or do you think acetone is going to remove all the gunk from the needle and nozzle?

Not to mention all those tiny epoxy overspray droplets floating around, just waiting to be inhaled. eek.gif Nah, I get woozy enough brushing it on. cwm12.gif

There's a pretty good spray epoxy that comes in a spraycan like paint. It's real good for just puttn' a shine on an old rod, but you couldn't use it to epoxy the guides on a new build.

I was thinking of wearing a tyvek suit and a resperator. I have a huge exhaust fan that i could do it in front of.. But the more i think about it, the more i dont think i want to go down that road- I just cant stand brushing epoxy... it drives me crazy and if i could find some strong clearcoat that i could spray i would be a happy camper.

Eben, There was a thread a while back about spraying epoxy. Im not sure what type of guns you have but I definately wouldnt do it with a good airbrush. One thing you should consider is the the epoxy will lose it strength proportionately to the amount of thinner. Thinned 25% would yield 75% strength. Tyvek suit and resperator are a must as well as an exhaust fan. I would recomend an explosion proof exhaust fan so you dont run the risk of going BOOM if the fan sparks. In my opinion, its not worth the hassle.

Heres the link to the other thread:http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bi.../11/3721.html?

I've spoken with a number of manufacturers about thinning epoxy to spray with an air brush

The answer from the Envirotex people is yes - but you need a special system that runs about $40,000.00 [Eek!]

Psssssst there are some of the builders here spraying finishes but they are being hush hush about it.

I have been hinted to that is an epoxy and also water based.????? Not sure if I'm being led the right way or not. Shallow water Car painter) says he is going to show me a way to do it but I think he is talking a different type of finish. Lets see if one of the secret holders will chirp in and let us have an idea to lead us to the promised land.

In the old days I use laquer from the cans but it eats the createx paint up so there must be a waterbased finish out there or a automotive finish out there. Just the in knows aren't sharing.

There are a bunch of catalyzed laquers available, I would expect that some of the lure manf. use them. The ones I've seen for wood finishes are more toxic than laquer and is it worth the trouble? Might ask a guy in RI if he'd clearcoat them for you, maybe he would for a squid.

biggrin.gif

Pete

I know of two water based epoxies on the market. Ones made by aqua-tuff and theres another one I cant recall the name. I have no idea how tough they are, having no experience with them. I would think multiple applications would be required to get a decent "build" or thickness. If its waterbased its not a "hot" coating and probably wont bond to the previous coat unless the base coat gets scuffed up with something like a scotch-brite pad. Sometimes products will have a "re-coat window" where scuffing will not be needed if the coats are applied within a certain time frame. I'd be curious to know who is spraying and what they are using because I already own HVLP spray equipment biggrin.gif Im also curious how they withstand saltwater and UV rays.

IMO you guys are treading on dangerous ground.

Eben, I know you are sensible and aware of hazards but when novices start talking about spraying toxic finishes, that is where it gets to be a real health risk. Just warning you guys.

There was a recent post about the 2 part urethane clear coats, and it talked about how some of the chemicals stay in your body forever cwm31.gif

Maybe you can make a large batch of plugs, then bring it to an autobody shop and ask one of them if they can clearcoat them for you, it may cost a few bucks but may be worth it , I don't know, just a thought. Leave the spraying to profesionals.

Why would you want to spray epoxy, when 2 coats of devcon applied with a brush will give you a strong hard finish every time. Maybe you need to thin your epoxy a little and work in a warm environment. I work over the oil burner and use a litte reducer to thin the devcon and clean up. No problems, use the same brush over and over. Its not fast, but the results are good and very little fumes, no mess to clean.

I have sprayed epoxy in swimming pools with an airless spray gun thinning 1 qt reducer to 1 gal epoxy. It can be done but cleanup is a real pain.

Slip I would never do this at home, and at my glass studio, i have an incredible exhaust fan so thats what made me think its feasable. The more i think about it, the less i want to try it... too nasty upck.gif

Hey eben did you know that envirotex comes in a spray can ? if your not concerned about the perfect finish. just brush it !

well. all this paint products can hurt you.if your using a epoxy it doesn't matter with a brush or gun.if your using it you need to have every door and window open. and charcoal filter respirator.at work during our bi-weekly safety meeting they had us read msds (material safety data sheets)for all the different paints we used even spray cans. and they all said first thing "have adequate ventilation".did you guys know that even with a respirator if you do not have the right mix of air vs paint the respirator is not going to be able to remove all the fumes. p.p.m's.(parts per millions) yea winch you are rite. "johnny" shared that there is a product called nylic that sounds like the perfect product on the web site Hmmmmm? check it out.iwould luv to try it. i am going to recommend it to my boss.remember anything catalyzed is trouble. Slipknots right again. those additives in the hardeners isocyanates are bad stuff. they are in the cyanide family. cwm31.gif if your going to be building all year long i wouldn't spray them unless you are set up for spraying. but once or twice a year taking all the precautions available spraying outside. go for it.but as long as it takes to do those by brush sitting over some raw epoxy inhaling those fumes for 5 or 6 hours is biiiig trouble.not much worse than spraying.

but winch i'm willing to take one for the team if you are ....lol. biggrin.gif

here is a link to envirotex msds info:

http://www.eti-usa.com/MSDS/MSDS%20Index.htm