keys boat rentals

Rate this topic

walter young

Check out www.********.com website they have a Keys forum and a FAQ thread that has MANY links to everything you could want. After reading that thread, post specific questions and you should get a reply. The cheap rentals have "cheap" boats, don't go TOO cheap or you may not have a boat that starts easily, etc. I will be there in just over a week!!! Can't wait!! (I go out on my sea kayak, party boats, and an occasional charter in the month I am there, don't rent)

I stayed there last year.

some of the people had to get towed back because of the engines dying.

Thety charged a lot for the gas that you didn't use up, basically, they charged for tthe amount of time you had the boat out for.

The room we got was very small. the price wasn't really as good a deal as it seemed.

When we were there we figured that if we stayed at a cheap place up in islamorada and rented from robbies it would have been cheaper with a larger boat also.

We still had fun. Tarpon were around, but we still got the skunk and had fun non the less.

Actaully, remembering back, there were some nice rooms that held a lot of people. We just got the smallest the had. The bathroom was part of the room with just a wicker screen between it and the bed.

The nicest room looked like it was the second floor in front of the tower. looked like it held a whole family.

I stayed there last year.

some of the people had to get towed back because of the engines dying.

Thety charged a lot for the gas that you didn't use up, basically, they charged for tthe amount of time you had the boat out for.

The room we got was very small. the price wasn't really as good a deal as it seemed.

When we were there we figured that if we stayed at a cheap place up in islamorada and rented from robbies it would have been cheaper with a larger boat also.

We still had fun. Tarpon were around, but we still got the skunk and had fun non the less.

Wizarddude, I just looked at the website, which of the units would you recommend for a family of four with 2 girls 11 and 13. Also is it kind of place you would bring kids, or is it too isolated. Thanks, Dave

Since it's always been two of us going down, we always got an Efficiency. Being a family of four, I would suggest staying in one of the larger cottages that will accommodate 4 (see home page). As per other posts, no it is not the Hilton. Islandy feel and decor, very clean and nicely done, the owners are great. I think "very reasonable" prices. It's on the ocean, with a nice sandy beach. As far as the boats, seemed to be well taken care of, and for what you are renting, found no other place to compare. I'm sure every rental company has a breakdown, once in a while, Usually a novice boater.

It's a great place for the wife and kids, the beach helps with that. Marathon is just a few miles south, with much, in the way of entertaining the family. You also have the 7-mile bridge right there, with the old bridge as a fishing pier. This gives you a few more options for fishing, etc.

Fun Area..........one of the best(reasonable) restaurants around, is right at the entrance road to the motel.......

My $.02

[This message has been edited by wizardude (edited 02-12-2003).]

"Vaya con Dios"...

Go with Robbies or Bud-n-Mary's....these a larger operations and you'll probably have boats that are better taken care of. As mentioned above...I also rented a boat down there and had engine problems and after talking to many people at the bar after that...I found many of the same horror stories. Don't know if it'll be any better with the above two choices but the've been there a long time and have a good reputation.

Enjoy!!

------------------

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"

Member #1666

PEACE OUT!!!

"Life is Not a Dress Rehearsal!"
Member #1666

oops i ****ed up. I stayed at the rainbow bend and not the yellowtail inn. my bad.

Rainbow Bend Fishing Resort....upck.gif

Fishing resort......cwm27.gif

Sign in, leave wallet....they nickeled and dimed us to death.

No "working" boats available today, sorry, how about a nice canoe?" (Always walking around with their noses in the air)

Took a diving trip on the "Glass Bottom" boat to catch some "bugs", with 50 plus dives in the area, by far the worst, most unknowledgeable, and most expensive trip down there. Even had to board by way of one of those "hooks over the gunnel" BS ladders. Tanks were only filled to 2100 psi, needless to say no Lobster for dinner. May have helped if she could have found a reef a little bigger than the boatcwm13.gif

Needless to say, one night and we were out of there. "Stay Clear" of this one!!!!!!!

Walter, you've just given one of the best reviews I've heard of the placewink.gif

"Vaya con Dios"...

Wizardude, exactly. It's funny how when we're on vacation we refuse to have a bad time. The place could have made us miserable, but we just had as much fun as possible. After being back home for about a month, my girlfriend said "that place we stayed at kind of sucked huh?"

"sure did honey" She's great.

I think we'll go with Robbies for the rental. All their boats look new.

I just hope I don't run into drunken fly guy again!

"that place we stayed at kind of sucked huh?"cwm27.gif

At least she didn't blast you for it. You probably got sucked in for the same reason I did, "boat included".

Make sure and spend the extra $2 for a crayfish stamp. Take your snorkel gear, and poke a few bugs out of hiding. Nothing like a fresh Lobster Omelet for breakfast biggrin.gif

Don't know where you're staying, but if you want to do the headboat thing, check out Bill running the SeaKing on the Key Colony Causeway in Marathon icon14.gif (305~289~0827) Most of the year do day and night trips.

Tight Lines and Happy hunting HappyWave.gif

"Vaya con Dios"...

Make sure and spend the extra $2 for a crayfish stamp. Take your snorkel gear, and poke a few bugs out of hiding. Nothing like a fresh Lobster Omelet for breakfast biggrin.gif

those bug tails aint too shabby coconut battered and deep fried as an appetizer at Lazy Days either smile.gif one week and counting smile.gif

i never rented a boat down there, its good to have freinds with fiberglass biggrin.gificon14.gif

those bug tails aint too shabby coconut battered and deep fried as an appetizer at Lazy Days either smile.gif one week and counting smile.gif

i never rented a boat down there, its good to have freinds with fiberglass biggrin.gificon14.gif

Let's see, Happy Hour at Lazy Days, batterfried fresh bugs, friend with fiberglass?????? Bringing boat, means got to drive.......passing through Richmond? Need a good cook? Have scuba, will travel biggrin.gif

"Vaya con Dios"...