Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigRock

Pencil Popper Prototype

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

This is a prototype of a huge, 9" pencil popper that already weighs 4.9oz as you see it. It has a 2oz tail slug poured in the plug and sits near vertical in the water, with about 2/3 of the plug under water. I put the canal special bottom on it. For you topwater guys, how does it look? Did I get the belly hook in the right spot? brpp1.JPGbrpp2.JPGbrpp3.JPGbrpp4.JPG

Let me know what I did wrong guys. Thanks!

I don't know a hell of alot but the belly hook appears to be too far forward!

If the plug floats 1/3 out of the water the hook will be at the surface. Maybe that's how you fish the canal. I'm from Massachusetts I don't know about any canal wink.gif

I think the shape is interesting, looks good.. I dont know about belly hook, but it may be a little too far back.. big bass will strike at the "top" o the plug... but who knows...

Also, with the "canal cut" up front, it should work nice and easy...

my reel question is, how do you work that thing with a "Convench" reel??

Nice i like the weight.with the wind at ur back a 3.5 will go just as far but when its in ur face the heavy's just keep on flyin.make the tail loop big so the 5/0 hook will lie agianst the belly when u cast it.If not it takes away from the cast.put a 4/0 on the front.No splitrings.I put the belly hook just back from center.thats towards the rear.Bout a 1/8.I just lost my last heavy one an was makin some more myself.Don't worry bout how it works just get it out there an reel fast to keep it on top.if u can't reach the fish u won't catch em.some of my 9 inchers sink some float wit just a little stickin out of the water.Seal em up good cedar soaks water like a sponge.white an yellow.the only 2 colors u need. an maybe blue over white.I never make em without the cut bottom i think they work better.workin em on a conventional is kinda tough. U need another hand.I seen it done they do it in the canal all the time.I use a 11' lami spinner.

BC I want one o those heavy ones like Cookie has.for my 4-5 once speacials.

You are KILLING ME!!

The LEFTYS, the SURFSTERS and now this! How about setting a few free from your basement lab, so they can swim on down to the other corner house on the street HappyWave.gifwink.gif

your stuff is awesome!! and man do they swim...

Hey Jake, will that bring the head too far down to the water? I have some 5/0 trebles and I was going to use one for a belly hook on this plug, I was worried that the hook and the weight together would be too heavy.

make the tail loop big so the 5/0 hook will lie agianst the belly when u cast it.If not it takes away from the cast.

cwm40.gif Damn! why didn't I think of that?