Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheen

Penn 712 ?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Looking for some info on a real my late uncle left me ,a712 Z.I used it briefly as a back up reel to my 5500ss wich blew antireverse regularly.The last time I used it on the vineyard I was catching Albies and the reel was making some wicked noises,I thougt it was the line roller but after replacing it was not.I chaulked it up to a non Albie friendly reel.So this evening while organising my gear I found a kit to a 710z reel that had white drag washers in it w/abunch of tools and lube.The directions w/ the washers say for lines lighter than 15# test use these teflon washers in place of the brake pad washers.2 questions wich are teflon,the ones in the spool are black the ones in the kit white.Could this have made the sreaming noises.So wich ones to use and should either be lubed in any way..thanx ....Cheen

The Teflon washers are the white ones. I've always fished them dry. As far as the screaming noise, if it was something you only heard while a fish like an albie was taking drag, I would have to assume it was either the drag itself, the line roller, or something causing the spool to rub against the rotor cup or something wedged between it and the spool. Nothing inside the reel body should be turning while a fish is stripping drag.

If there's any reel out there where you can turn a deaf ear to noises, it's the Z. As long as the handle turns and the drag slips, you're OK smile.gif