Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toad in Nj

Mega Bait = Mega Swallow

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Fished tonight for about an hour and a half and picked up 9 bass between 20-32 inches (not pounds) smile.gif~ and dropped another four at least.

I was using mainly the 5 inch pearl Mega Bait.

The Bass were INHALING the lure, mostly in about a foot of water.

Do to the small size of the plug most of the time both trebles were completely inside of the fishes mouth.

My question is: Can these or other swimmers, i.e Bombers be fished with just the front trebles? Will this cause an imbalance in the plugs action?

It is a complete pain in neck trying to unhook these fish without hurting them or myself.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd, if the fish are that vicious, inhaling the entire plug and getting gang hooked, put a bucktail on the back. Not a single hook, just bucktail on a single hook after which you cut off the hook at the bend. You are left with just a swinging bucktail, no hook. Much like the old Hahn plugs had on the back. A bucktailed single hook would also be a suitable replacement.

If you really wanna live life on the edge, take off the front hook and just put a 4/0 Stainless siwash on the back, bucktailed or not. Normally this wouldn't be a great idea, but if the fish are inhaling the plug from behind, it would make unhooking them much easier.

Hope this helps...and expect an email as to where this was taking place wink.gif

TimS