Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PA John

Backing on reel advice needed

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Being a "Newbie" I want to try using Braid line this year.Do you use 12lb dia.mono on 12/50 braid or 50lb test mono for a backing? I am going to try plug fishing. My rod is a 9ft Lami Surf King with a Tica SA4000 (LIBRA) reel.

It holds 300 yd.of 12lb test. I am thinking of trying the new Stren Braid. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks John

Just put a bit of dacron on there for a cushion and to grip the spool and then load that thing with all the braid you can stuff on it icon14.gif

Tie the dacron to the spool with a Uni-knot and tie the dacron to the braid with a back to back Uni-knot. When you do this, double the braid over so the diameter of the lines is not so disparate.

BTW, use the same test dacron as the braid.

I know that braid is a bit expensive, but it lasts longer than mono and you can stick alot more on a spool for a given test. If you hang something really big and it doesn't want to hang around, you'll be wishing for all the line you can get!!

I just wrap the spool with a bit of electrical tape, tie on the braid and fill er up. Never slipped yet. Then again never hooked into anything too strong either. Have snagged a few rocks that pulled kinda hard. wink.gif