Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H'Islander

On beers - not plugs

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Even in Central America there are rays of hope - Nestled south of Mexico, East of Guatemala (SP?), and north of Honduras sits the tiny country of Belize - Home of Tarantulas (saw many) large amphibious snakes (saw one, have no idea what it was but it was about 12 feet long) and Jaguars (saw none [thank heavens]) They do know they're beer there though!!

Belizebeer1.jpg

Belizebeer2.jpg

Tasty stuff - Enjoying this bottle with 1/2oz of 12 yr old single malt scotch right now....Mmmmmmmm

AAAAHHHHHH, Belikin,

Now I really want to go back to Belize. I preferred the Belikin Premium, but the regular was great as well. And more importantly, inexpensive.

Tony

Just watched a "special" the other night, on Belize. I've got a good friend that's trying to talk me into retiring down there; he thinks it's heaven on earth.

Dave, that's probably a double (maybe triple) bock, but definitely not stout. Totally different taste.

Anyway, the guy (brew meister) that makes that beer, is a German master who relocated to Belize after a vacation... who doesn't speak much english, but knows his craft. In fact, I'm told Belikin beer is the only beer sold in Belize. Did you see any other, HL?

There was one other beer, but i don't recall the name - this beer was sold as a stout, but really was more like a Bock...

I dug up a lot of information while I was down there in Belize and I would tend to agree that it is heavenly AND INEXPENSIVE. One American moved there to grow oranges for the country - he was sold 2500 prime farm acres for $1000 USD - Two languages spoken are English (primary) & Spanish. Everything is written in English there (California please take note). Kids start school at 3 and go to college at 17 -

HOWEVER, there are a ton of political issues there with Guatemala....I'm sure I only was given the information that they wanted me to have. Personally - being a US Army Vet I have to say that I'll love the US forever. I think that this will always be my home.

When I was in the service (20 something yrs. ago) I was stationed in Germany for a while. Around Christmas time the breweries would produce Eisbock. Seems they drained the vats totally once a year. The stuff below the tank outlet is where they got this stuff. I remember sitting at an outside cafe and holding a clear mug of it up towards the sun and absolutely no light was visible through it. this stuff knocked your socks off. Tasted terrible but what a buzz. I still shudder at the thought of that dark stuff.

That may be be more "folklore" than truth, Dave, but I'm there with you on the potency. icon14.gif Eisbock's are generally above 8 percent... and a few are actually brewed near 16 percent alcohol. If you were drinking a well made eisbock, your biggest "complaint" would be along the lines of "drinking overly sweet, liquid bread". I seriously believe the Bavarians have way too much pride in their beers, to be bottling vat dregs... unless it was intended solely for the Amis. wink.gif