Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Levelwind vs Non-Levelwind

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Probably been covered before, sorry if it was. What are the advantages of one over the other. I just bought a 6500C3 CT, and am wondering if I should send it back to get a reel with a levelwind. This is going to be my first "official" surf conventional, with some use on a boat. I don't plan on doing any bait fishing with it, just plastics & plugs.

Thanx Billy

in my opinion ( mind you its mine ) If I was plugging especially at night Id rather have a levelwind than not . If I was chucking bait out far Id go with a nonlevelwind . Like me my thumb isnt too edumacated . I dont have a long attention span and Id end up forgettin to level out the line then the next cast SNAP there goes my lure to the skys . Now I use a nonlevelwind on a boat for jigging cod and stripers and blues . It depends on how educated your thumb is willing to become ! I would at least try it out for yourself to see how comfortable you are with it !

good luck you hippie ! wink.gif

Bait=no levelwind

Lures=levelwind

Makes sense after a couple hundred casts. I don't think that casting distance is much different if you lube the levelwind, change the bushing to a ball bearing, etc. Baitcasting doesn't work with every plug. Pencil poppers and very light plugs especially. And the stock gear ratio is kind of slow for metal. But just right for bucktails and plastics. A power handle helps to keep your hand from cramping after those first hundred casts. Don't forget to upgrade the drag washers. What rod? I've been using a St. Croix 10'. Nice action, but would like a little more length and a little more power.

If that reel is the Mag Elite, then the major issue that it has for bait is no clicker.

I getting this in a couple weeks. http://****.com/cgi-bin/****/noteboards/gowge.cgi?re ad=20088#20088

Aside from a clicker, drag upgrade, bearing upgrade, and maybe a non-levelwind frame, it's a perfect package.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 11-08-2001).]

triet

that is a nice reel ( sweet ) ! Now where is Santa's address ? See if the big guy posted on this board we would be all set for our stocking stuffers . I want one !!!!!!!!!

Triet = Ho What color is that reel. If copper, I think they make a perfect match for the XC, XS, and Arra colored blanks. not that I pick reels to match the color of the blank or anything.

Haven't a clue as to which rod. Maybe one of those 1201L's, an Arra - not sure, but a Lami top of the line.

Chris - I am in the process of educating both thumbs. One to prevent backlashes isn't listening to the teacher, and teh other seems to let the dog eat his homework cause it doesn't learn not to pile the line on one side. Getting better though.

I see my feelings are right - I need a levelwind. I think I'm going to put this reel on But & Sell and see if I can get a levelwind.

If the goal is max distance, don't use level wind.

If you don't care about distance and you are using braid, maybe the levelwind would be helpful.

Just my $0.02.

-FWW

I don't plan on doing any bait fishing with it, just plastics & plugs.

I would definetly go with a levelwind for pluggin'. Hell, I have a levelwind on my bait setup too. One less thing you have to worry about.

luke

Level-wind for plugging.

That Florida Surf is a nice reel. Pretty much a 6500CSC3 Mag with 6.3's and a bearing level-wind right? Wouldn't 5.3:1 be better for when a big Cow takes your lure. Remember a slow retrieve looks tastier.

Save yourself $40, but nice reel no matter what it costs wink.gif.

Billy,

stick with levelwind! I have two ABU 7's on plugging rods and I picked up 2 Penn 525's. After a season of bait fishing and plugging from both shore and the boat the 525's stay on the boat on 7ft rods (bait & eels) and the ABU 7's are my canal plug, bait, and eel rods. (ft & 10ft rods, I have more rods than reels so I switch, and I have a 8ft light rod with a ABU6500C3. I also have two Penn 940s for the boat, light plugging rods.

I fish two Calcutta 400 levelwinds for the majority of my fishing. The levelwind makes life easier at night. It is a pain in the butt when you get a birdsnest at night. The levelwind will eliminate a lot of that due to it laying the line back on the spoool level. When I bait fish I use a non level wind Calcutta with an educated thumb but it takes getting used to especially at night.

If you can educate your thumb stay with the non level wind. I never liked level wind and still dont like'm too much, if you do alot of plugin and stuff like that and dont get use to it then go with the level wind. That abu 6500 c3ct gives you a very far distance. I have a buddy that uses that real for long distance competion and can cast 530 +++ feet with 5 1/4 oz sinker. You should get the abu reel with the clicker. Runs for a little more but the clicker is important when you fish with bait.

I have two of those reels. One without level wind and one specially ordered with it. I use the level wind for my eel and plug fishing, the non-level wind for bait.