Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhodyred

Plug Wire Again?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever used 16 or 18 Gauge Galvanized wire for a straight thru wire on their plugs? I was told that it is good stuff for wiring plugs. It isn't very expensive either. I've got some SS left but I'm thinking of buying Galvanized when it runs out. Was looking for any input wether it is worth getting or a bad idea?

The galvanizing is just a coating and not a bullet-proof one. Just working the wire (forming loops, etc.) is enough to "scrub" off the galvanizing and expose the plain steel core which is prone to rapid rusting. Since it's an integral part of the finished plug, I think it would be penny-wise / pound-foolish to use the stuff.

Rhodyred, I'll second what Bill K said about the galvanized wire. I've experimented with both brass, galvanized and stainless. I would stick with the stainless. I buy mine by the # at a welding shop. After all the work that goes into a good plug you might as well wire it with the best stuff you can find. Good luck...pikiemike

Thanks, I only had one persons word on how he liked using the Galvanized Wire. Now that I've heard a few other opinions I'll stick with the SS wire. Thanks Bill & Mike.

Surfrat... I use 1/16" stainless wire. It comes in 36" lengths and I buy it by the pound. I have no idea what the temper is, its plenty stiff enough, yet workable. I've used this stuff for a long time and its never failed me.