Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Lead Substitute

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just a hypothetical question for you guys.

Let's say some time in the near future the EPA (or whoever) bans the use of lead for anything that could get released into the environment- including fishing tackle.

Lead sinkers, lead splitshot, lead lures, etc.

What would you guys use as an equivalent substitute for plug weights?

Just curious. Probably won't ever happen, but you never know.

-WW, pourin' lead jigs

Probably a number of things you could use. Large bolts or screws could be inserted into the plug, another metal could be melted (I believe bismuth is close in weight), etc. There are several lead substitutes out there already, just a whole lot more expensive than lead so most jigs are still made of lead. Same for weights in plugs.

Jigman

That's the beauty of the country we call home . . . if there was ever a scenario that you describe it would take years to implement during which time we could "accumulate" . . .. after that Jig Man and I organize the grey market . . . I can see the bumper sticker now "Got Lead".

Hilts Mold in Ca. use to sell a lead substitute. Than they went out of business, and were recently bought and reopen by Dolphin Sports Inc. They have a new website up and are selling molds again.

But, I don't see the lead substitute listed on their web page anywhere? You could try E-mailing them and asking if you really want to get and use the substitute and not lead. They maybe able to provide the info you need on getting it.

info@hiltsmolds.com

Let us know how you make out? wink.gif

------------------

O-)

Zak/Cyclops