Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Briny Deep

To Braid or not to Braid?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been following this Board for a while...Great Info!! I finally registered and would like feedback on using Braid. I have a couple of boat roads (w/Penn 320GTi) a set up for my kayak (w/Penn 5500ss) and a surf set up and I was wondering if it is recommended to use Braid for all types of fishing?

What Lb Test?

Power Pro vs Firelne?

Thanks in advance for your input.

------------------

Beach, Boat, Kayak

South River

Marshfield, MA

like you i, asked the very same question when i first came to this board. i ended up putting 14# & 20# fireline on my spinning reels and 50# whiplash on my conventionals.

i have never looked back.

I would limit myself to Fireline (eithe 14# or 20#) on the Penn 5500. The small roller and the reel's tendency to spool line unevenly makes it unfriendly for the softer gel-spun braids.

I'm kinda new playing with braid.. I have a 710Z for small jigs and plugs thats had 14lb spider wire on it a couple of years..Last year I started using 65lb. whiplash on a 7500 Nautil...cast great ...I don't know about all that gel spun stuff,But I'd go with what Ditch says from all the great advice I got in the past...HappyWave.gifWelcome

I have a Penn 704Z, and the most tolerable braid I used on it was Spidewire Stealth, big improvement over Power Pro and Whiplash on that particular reel. The Penn is not that braid friendly because it doesn't wrap the line evenly enough across the spool. I still had some snags and wind knots with the Stealth, it was just less often and easier to get out. Once I switched to a more braid friendly reel, a Nautil, I never had another problem. The best spinners for braids are the ones that lay down the most turns of line as the spool moves from top to bottom.

[This message has been edited by Rich L (edited 01-17-2003).]