Cape Cod fishing early Aug weekend , need tips travelling from Canada

Rate this topic

Greetings,
I was thinking of heading down to the Cape for AUG 3-5 weekend since its a long weekend here in Canada.
I was wondering if it would be too late for Stripers and blues? if so then what are my options from the shore?
I visited the Canal for the first time, on the July 1st weekend and loved it even managed to hook a few Mackerel on jigs.

-Durvesh
What matters is not the length of the wand but the magic in it

12 hours ago, sufrangler said:

Greetings,
I was thinking of heading down to the Cape for AUG 3-5 weekend since its a long weekend here in Canada.
I was wondering if it would be too late for Stripers and blues? if so then what are my options from the shore?
I visited the Canal for the first time, on the July 1st weekend and loved it even managed to hook a few Mackerel on jigs.

If you want to get a few mackerel. Go to the east end jetty with Mac jigs  and 2-3 oz  sinker cast and retrieved  or get a bike and ride the canal or walk it. If ur looking for beach fishing is mostly night.  But watch out for seals and sharks 

Agreed it might be "early" but Night time will be the right time for stripers.

Evenings with an outgoing tide at outflows with small lures like an epoxy jig or bucktails.

The canal has been inconsistent year to year for the last decade it seems.   Month long August blitzes one year,  Fishless summers the next.   Always the chance of an epic tide there, but you never know until you go.   I used to stop fishing the canal after July 4.     

DITCH TROLL

52 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Evenings with an outgoing tide at outflows with small lures like an epoxy jig or bucktails.

The canal has been inconsistent year to year for the last decade it seems.   Month long August blitzes one year,  Fishless summers the next.   Always the chance of an epic tide there, but you never know until you go.   I used to stop fishing the canal after July 4.     

I used to the fish the canal when you had to be there for the mothers day blitz. When I heard they were having summertime blitzes I almost fell over.  

54 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

I do miss the old troll fest get togethers.

30 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Have you ever tried striper fishing in Canada ? I'm interested in trying some rivers I've been researching 

never tried it however striper fishing in Miramichi is second to none , you can catch Atlantic Salmon and striped bass on the same tackle ,swinging a fly.
However I plan to do that once my fly fishing skills are up there.
I live in Southern Ontario and its faster for me to hit Cape Cod than the Miramichi.
For me its the love of Saltwater shore fishing that drives me.

-Durvesh
What matters is not the length of the wand but the magic in it

On 7/9/2024 at 10:17 PM, sufrangler said:

Greetings,

I usually go first week of August and have always done better at night than during the day minus a few exceptions. 

Right now there are bass in Cape Cod Bay ... there are folks catching but they are putting in the time. I went last night for the 1st time since May (real life challenges unfortunately) and while I did not see anything other than tiny bait they are around I was told by some in-the-know folks they have been catching. There are a number of shore locations that could be accessed and may hold fish on any given day/night. It is worth the effort IMO, just set reasonable expectations. You could easily walk into an epic night, or get skunked 5 outings in a row.

Getting boat access would be helpful if you really want to get into fish. Charter to Monomoy Rips would be my plan.

There has been action on the Outer Cape, particularly up near Provincetown. Again, you need to put in the time.

You'd have to plan on low light times to have any reasonable expectations of success.