Baitcasting reel on a Trevala jigging rod

I bought an Avet SXJ reel, but my Tsunami jigging rod still hasn’t made it to my tackle store. They thought it would be here by now.

I’m leaving in two days for a week on a lake full of trout and landlocked salmon.

I figured I’d put the Avet on my Trevala spinning rod to play around with for a bit, but numerous online experts say “no don’t! Your rod will break!!!!”

(not to anything I queried. I was just looking at things online, casting reel on a spinning rod in general.)

I get it, that you wouldn’t want to pair up that rod/reel combination for the long haul, but for a few days I don’t see the harm.

What’s with the (numerous) catastrophic predictions?

I’d just pickup a cheap cherrywood or something  before I’d try that.  Not sure whether or not it will be more likely to break. My guess is it might want to twist in hand since the line will be high above the axis.  I think spinning rods have fewer guides and they are definitely not the right guides for a baitcaster.  I’m partial to casting rods with triggers so obviously you won’t have that. 
I wouldn’t try it but I’m curious to hear how it goes if you do. 

Edited by Soundbound

I’ve been reading numerous cautionary posts (reddit etc) that the reason you don’t want to use a casting reel on a spinning rod is because you’ll end up bending the rod in the wrong direction (because the reel will be sitting on top of the rod, not beneath) so of course the rod will break.

I saw this exact prediction in a dozen or more different posts. (!!!) What is this insanity?

They actually think rods are designed to only bend in one direction.

I’m one of those googans that got his first spinning rod at 8 years old back in the early 60s, and never realized you were supposed to hold it differently from the salt dock rods I’d gotten used to.

I still sometimes hold a spinning rod upside down. Never broken one in 55 years. I guess I’m just lucky.

I just want to try my new reel out for a bit.

If it feels really awkward I’ll put the spinning reel back on it.

(I’ll come back with a full report)

But this business about a rod breaking because it’s being bent in the wrong direction…

where does that come from?

Sorry to beat a dead horse probably nobody is interested in,

but this quote illustrates what I’m seeing over and over:

“The blank isn’t really meant to be loaded in reverse. It will work, but a big fish will probably snap the rod”

Is this for real? I’ve never heard such a thing.

I’ve bent my rods over into horseshoes on bigger fish while fishing googan style. I’ve never had a problem. I should have broken one by this point.

Blanks are made with an important directional orientation? That’s news to me.

The guide numbers and spacing is quite different between a spinning compared to conventional. In addition, the comment about using a conventional reel on a spinning rod is relevant. Under load using the spinning rod with a conventional reel will cause the rod to twist severely when under load due to the height of the guides. If you just want to get a feel for the reel then try not to stress the spinning rod under load when playing around.

Thanks for that reply,

I’ve been reading about this subject over the last hour or so. I never realized there was a directional “spine” to a rod blank, or that the rod might be stronger in one direction over another, and that rodbuilders take that into account. I’m old, but not too old to admit complete ignorance about things I’m ignorant about.  :)

In this particular case, my Trevala spinning rod is designed for tuna fishing. I doubt I’ll break it catching 18 or 20 inch lake trout and salmon.

But this has been far more educational than I expected. I was just wondering how uncomfortable it would be to try out a conventional reel on a spinning rod.

I’ll find out in a couple of days.

As long as you don't try to pull out the plug at the bottom of the lake, you should be fine.  All my Trevalas have been abused for a long time, and i'd bet yours will work just fine. It's not a Tonkin Cane Orvis! The trevala is a beast.

Some blanks/rods are or were made with a high spot on them. If you roll the blank on a table you would see that high spot. A spinning rod guides are placed on one side of the rod and conventional guides are placed on one side of the rod … which side is which you will have to research for that answer …. If you do get it wrong the rod can snap especially if lifting a fish from water to boat … 

This has been such an education on rod blanks for me.

Nearly all of my fishing is done on the ocean, mostly from a kayak, for stripers, blues, fluke, tautog, and black sea bass. Rhode Island, primarily. So of course my gear reflects that purpose.

This week I’ll be kayak fishing for lake trout and landlocked salmon. (Just happened to be visiting the area) I’ve never done this sort of fishing, and I didn’t buy any tackle specifically for this purpose. I’m winging it with my light ocean gear.

I have a tsunami slimwave jigging rod on order, to pair with my new Avet conventional reel. Looking forward to putting them together. That’s for ocean fishing.

I was hoping to have that setup together for this freshwater trip, but the reel made it and the rod didn’t. Oh well.

So I’ll be getting used to my new reel (Avet SXJ) on a Trevala spinning rod for a few days, practicing my jigging with a lever drag reel.

But this foray into rod blank orientation has been really interesting. I had never heard anything about it. 

(first fish caught: probably 1964 or thereabouts. hooked on it ever since)